Information about Fluorouracil
Fluorouracil is used in the treatment of cancer.
How fluorouracil works
Fluorouracil is an anticancer medication. It works by interfering with the growth of genetic material (DNA and RNA) of the cancer cells. This slows the growth of cancer cells and eventually kills them.
Common side effects of fluorouracil
Nausea, Vomiting, Weakness, Loss of appetite, Increased risk of infection, Hair loss, Diarrhea, Decreased blood cells (red cells, white cells, and platelets), Mouth ulcer, Blisters on fingers / feet
Available Medicine for Fluorouracil
- ₹85 to ₹205Menarini India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹24Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹24Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹22Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹108Celon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹22United Biotech Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹125West-Coast Pharmaceutical Works Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹28Neon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹21Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹23Biological E Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fluorouracil
- Fluorouracil helps treat cancers of stomach, colon, rectum, breast, and lungs.
- It is given as an injection into a vein, or as a drip (infusion) into a vein or artery.
- The dose and the number of treatment cycles needed will depend on the type and stage of cancer that is being treated.
- It may cause dizziness and visual changes. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Use a reliable contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy while you are taking this medicine.
- Your doctor may regularly monitor your blood cells and liver function during treatment with this medicine.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you notice any signs of infection such as fever, sore throat, rash or severe diarrhea.
Frequently asked questions for Fluorouracil
Q. Is fluorouracil a vesicant?
No, fluorouracil is not a vesicant (irritant)
Q. Is fluorouracil safe?
Fluorouracil is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is fluorouracil a steroid?
No, flurouracil is not a steroid
Q. Is fluorouracil cream chemotherapy?
Fluorouracil is used as chemotherapy for the treatment of cancers
Q. Is fluorouracil cream for warts?
Yes, fluorouracil is used for the treatment of warts
Q. Is fluorouracil the same as efudex?
Efudex is a brand name (trade name) for fluorouracil
Q. Does fluorouracil affect normal skin?
Fluorouracil has minimal effect on the surrounding healthy skin
Q. Does fluorouracil cause hair loss?
Yes, fluorouracil may cause temporary hair loss
Q. Does fluorouracil cause scarring?
No, fluorouracil is not known to cause scarring
Q. Does fluorouracil cause headaches?
Though headache is not a common side effect of fluorouracil, it may occur uncommonly is some
Q. Why does fluorouracil cause fatigue?
As with any chemotherapy for cancer, fluorouracil causes fatigue which is attributed to be of multi-factor origin, but inflammation and anemia are thought to be the most important factors.