Flunarizine is used to prevent migraine
How it works
Migraine headaches are thought to result from the dilatation of blood vessels in the head. Flunarizine works by preventing loss of tone and dilation of blood vessels, thus preventing the migraine headache.
Common side effects
Sleepiness, Weight gain, Muscle pain, Fatigue, Constipation, Nausea, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Rhinitis
- ₹26 to ₹46Janssen Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹43FDC Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹17 to ₹46Geno Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹35Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹45Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹46Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹40 to ₹46Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹33Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹31Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹44A N Pharmacia2 variant(s)
- Flunarizine should be taken at night-time before going to bed.
- You may have to wait for 8 to 12 weeks to get the full effect.
- Caution is advised in elderly patients, as it may cause depressive and extrapyramidal symptoms.
- Do not take alcohol or sleep inducing medicine along with Flunarizine.
- Flunarizine tablet contains lactose monohydrate. You should not take it if you have galactose intolerance, the Lapp lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is flunarizine safe?
Flunarizine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by the doctor.
Q. Is flunarizine safe in pregnancy?
There are no data on the use of flunarizine in pregnant women. It is hence advisable to avoid the use of flunarizine during pregnancy. Ask your doctor before taking flunarizine in pregnancy.
Q. What is flunarizine?
Flunarizine is a calcium channel blocker, and was initially used to improve blood flow. It was later used to treat dizziness and vertigo, and to prevent migraine.
Q. What is flunarizine used for?
Flunarizine is used to prevent migraine attacks. Migraine is a recurrent throbbing headache that typically affects one side of the head and is often accompanied by nausea and disturbed vision.
Q. Does flunarizine cause weight gain?
Flunarizine can cause weight gain. It is caused by an increase in appetite (feeling hungry) and can be avoided by keeping to your usual diet. Please consult your doctor if you experience weight gain after taking flunarizine.
Q. Does flunarizine work?
Flunarizine works if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. How long does flunarizine take to work?
Flunarizine may start working at eight to twelve weeks. Always talk to your doctor before starting the medicine and for how long it needs to be taken. If the medicine works for you, keep taking the tablets for at least six months.