Information about Flunarizine
Flunarizine is used to prevent migraine headaches.
How flunarizine works
Migraine headaches are thought to result from the dilatation of blood vessels in the head. Flunarizine works by preventing loss of tone and dilation of blood vessels, thus preventing the migraine headache.
Common side effects of flunarizine
Sleepiness, Weight gain, Muscle pain, Fatigue, Constipation, Nausea, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Rhinitis
Available Medicine for Flunarizine
- ₹26 to ₹144Janssen Pharmaceuticals4 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹45FDC Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹48Geno Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹36Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹46Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹49Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹40 to ₹47Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹17 to ₹32Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹33Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹44A N Pharmacia2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Flunarizine
- Flunarizine should be taken at night-time before going to bed.
- You may have to wait for 8 to 12 weeks to get the full effect.
- Caution is advised in elderly patients, as it may cause depressive and extrapyramidal symptoms.
- Do not take alcohol or sleep inducing medicine along with Flunarizine.
- Flunarizine tablet contains lactose monohydrate. You should not take it if you have galactose intolerance, the Lapp lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption.
Frequently asked questions for Flunarizine
Q. Is Flunarizine safe?
Flunarizine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by the doctor.
Q. What is Flunarizine used for?
Flunarizine is a calcium channel blocker and is used to prevent migraine attacks. Migraine is a recurrent throbbing headache that typically affects one side of the head and is often accompanied by nausea and disturbed vision.
Q. Does Flunarizine cause weight gain?
Flunarizine can cause weight gain. It is caused by an increase in appetite (feeling hungry) and can be avoided by keeping to your usual diet. Please consult your doctor if you experience weight gain after taking Flunarizine.
Q. Does Flunarizine work?
Flunarizine works if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. How is Flunarizine different from Betahistine?
Betahistine is a histamine analog used to treat vertigo, tinnitus and hearing loss associated with Ménière's syndrome while Flunarizine is a calcium entry blocker used for preventing the attack of a migraine. However, Betahistine is also useful in the treatment of a migraine associated vertigo and $nmae is also useful in treating Meniere's diseases associated vertigo.