Flecainide is used for the treatment of certain types of arrhythmias (change from normal heartbeat) such as arrhythmias associated with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome, severe symptomatic and life-threatening paroxysmal ventricular arrhythmia and paroxysmal atrial arrhythmias.
How it works
Flecainide belongs to a group of medicines called Class IC antiarrhythmics. It acts by inhibiting the conduction of stimulus in the heart thereby extending the heart’s resting time, causing the heart to pump normally again.
Common side effects
Altered heart rate, Dizziness, Shortness of breath, Fatigue, Fever, Swelling, Weakness, Double vision, Blurred vision
- 2 variant(s)
- Flecainide should be used with caution in patients with the following medical conditions: history of heart attack, structural heart disease or abnormal left ventricular function, sudden onset of rapid and irregular heart beat (acute atrial fibrillation) following heart surgery, impaired liver/kidney function, all patients with permanent pacemakers or temporary pacing electrodes.
- Take flecainide on an empty stomach or at least one hour before a meal.
- Tell your doctor if you have heart disease present at birth or abnormal left ventricular function.
- If you feel dizzy after taking flecainide, do not drive or use any machines till you feel fine.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is flecainide safe?
Flecainide is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is flecainide or flecainide acetate a blood thinner/beta blocker/nitrate/calcium channel blocker?
Flecainide is Class IC anti-arrhythmic drug and not a blood thinner/beta blocker/nitrate/ calcium channel blocker.
Q. Is flecainide safe for PVCs (premature ventricular complexes)?
Flecainide in combination with beta blocker or calcium channel blocker is used to treat PVCs. It is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. How long can I take flecainide for?
Patient should take flecainide for prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Can I take ibuprofen/ paracetamol/magnesium/ aspirin with flecainide?
Flecainide along with ibuprofen/paracetamol/ magnesium/aspirin do not cause any harmful effects. However, consult your doctor if you develop a severe reaction.
Q. Can I take Tylenol (acetaminophen)/ Benadryl/Viagra (sildenafil)/ Valium (diazepam)/ Aleve (naproxen) with flecainide?
Flecainide along with Tylenol (acetaminophen)/ Benadryl/Viagra (sildenafil)/ Valium (diazepam)/ Aleve (naproxen) does not cause any harmful interactions. However, consult your doctor if you develop a severe reaction.
Q. Does flecainide lower heart rate/cause hair loss/ make you tired/ cause constipation/ shortness of breath/ affect blood pressure/ cause weight gain /memory loss/ depression?
These side effects are rare or uncommon with flecainide use. Stop taking flecainide and consult your doctor immediately if you experience one or more of such symptoms.