Information about Fexofenadine
Fexofenadine is used in the treatment of allergic conditions.
How fexofenadine works
Fexofenadine is an antihistaminic medication. It treats allergy symptoms such as such as itching, swelling, and rashes by blocking the effects of a chemical messenger (histamine) in the body.
Common side effects of fexofenadine
Headache, Drowsiness, Nausea, Dizziness
Available Medicine for Fexofenadine
- ₹52 to ₹193Sanofi India Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹103 to ₹181Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹70 to ₹100Mankind Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹95 to ₹137Hegde and Hegde Pharmaceutical LLP2 variant(s)
- ₹134 to ₹173Ipca Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹117 to ₹142Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹108 to ₹181Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹95Delcure Life Sciences3 variant(s)
- ₹69 to ₹99Hetero Drugs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹125 to ₹145Dr. Johns Laboratories Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fexofenadine
- Fexofenadine helps with the symptoms of allergies such as itching, redness, and rashes.
- It is less likely to make you feel sleepy than some other similar medicines.
- Do not take it with any fruit juices (such as apple, orange, or grapefruit) as they might make the drug less effective.
- It may cause nausea. Stick to simple meals, and do not eat rich or spicy food.
- Avoid using antacids within 30 minutes before or after taking this medicine. It can make it harder for your body to absorb this medication.
Frequently asked questions for Fexofenadine
Q. Can Fexofenadine make you sleepy?
Yes, drowsiness is a common side effect of this medicine. However, it does not affect everyone. But in case the drowsiness starts hampering your daily life, consult your doctor who might suggest another anti-allergic medicine which does not cause sleepiness.
Q. Can you overdose on Fexofenadine?
No, never take an overdose of any medicine. Overdose of Fexofenadine may cause dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue and dry mouth. If you accidentally take more than the recommended dose of Fexofenadine, seek emergency medical service in a nearby hospital or contact your doctor immediately.
Q. How quickly does Fexofenadine work?
Fexofenadine starts working within an hour of taking it. Maximum benefit of this medicine is seen within 6 hours and the effect lasts for 24 hours.
Q. Does Fexofenadine relieve symptoms of outdoor and indoor allergies?
Yes, Fexofenadine relieves the symptoms of upper respiratory allergies or hay fever which can be caused by outdoor and indoor allergens. It relieves the symptoms of itchy or watery eyes, runny nose, and sneezing, or itching of the nose or throat.
Q. How to cope with dizziness caused by Fexofenadine?
If you feel dizzy while taking Fexofenadine, lie down for sometime and then get up slowly. Moving slowly and cautiously can also help cope up with dizziness. Avoid coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, and recreational drugs. If dizziness persists and is troublesome, consult your doctor.
Q. Can I take antacids while taking Fexofenadine?
Antacids containing aluminium and magnesium may decrease the absorption of Fexofenadine and lower its levels, thereby interfering with the working of this medicine. It is recommended that you keep a gap of 2 hours between the two medicines.
Q. How should I take Fexofenadine?
Fexofenadine should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Swallow the tablets whole with water, do not chew or crush it. Usually, it is advised to take the tablet before meal.
Q. Is there any food or drink that I need to avoid while taking Fexofenadine?
Avoid drinking grape juice, orange juice, and apple juice while taking Fexofenadine. These might make you more likely to have side effects.
Q. Can Fexofenadine cause heart problems?
People who are already suffering from a heart disease should be careful while taking Fexofenadine. Inform your doctor about your heart problem, as this medicine may cause fast or irregular heartbeat and palpitations.