Information about Fenofibrate
How fenofibrate works
Fenofibrate is a lipid-lowering medication. It works by lowering the levels of triglycerides and "bad" cholesterol (LDL) while raising the levels of "good" cholesterol (HDL).
Common side effects of fenofibrate
Increased liver enzymes, Nausea, Vomiting, Flatulence, Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Fenofibrate
- ₹87 to ₹148Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹123 to ₹168USV Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹109 to ₹146Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹136 to ₹151Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹211Ordain Health Care Global Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹113Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹94Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹142Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹75 to ₹115Delvin Formulations Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹118Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fenofibrate
- Medication of choice for lowering triglyceride levels in the blood. Can reduce triglycerides by up to 50%.
- Regular exercise and low-fat diet further help to lower levels of fat in the blood.
- Take Fenofibrate half an hour before meals.
- Notify your doctor if you are more tired than usual, do not feel hungry, or if you have yellow eyes, skin or dark urine.
- Do not discontinue Fenofibrate without consulting your doctor even if you feel better.
- Avoid alcohol consumption (includes wine, beer, and liquor).
Frequently asked questions for Fenofibrate
Q. Is Fenofibrate the same as Lipitor?
Fenofibrate is a drug belonging to a different class of drugs called “Fibrates”, whereas Lipitor (atorvastatin) belongs to the “Statin” class. Both the medicines act by different mechanisms
Q. Does Fenofibrate cause erectile dysfunction, weight gain or memory loss?
Fenofibrate may rarely cause sexual weakness in patients. It does not cause weight gain and memory loss. Consult your doctor before use
Q. Can I take fenofibrate with Lipitor, ibuprofen, niacin, Nyquil or crestor?
Taking fenofibrate with drugs from the statin class (e.g. Atorvastatin or Lipitor; rosuvastatin or crestor) may cause muscle breakdown. There is no significant drug interaction with ibuprofen, niacin or Nyquil. However, always consult your doctor before use
Q. What is Fenofibrate?
Fenofibrate belongs to a class of drugs called as fibrates or fibric acid derivatives. It is different from statins, blood thinners, diuretic and nitrate
Q. Is Fenofibrate generic?
Yes, Fenofibrate is a generic drug sold under several pharmaceutical brand names (TriCor, Antara, Lofibra, Stanlip, Lipicard etc.).