Information about Fenofibrate
How fenofibrate works
Fenofibrate is a lipid lowering medication. It works by lowering the levels of triglycerides and "bad" cholesterol (LDL), while raising the levels of "good" cholesterol (HDL).
Common side effects of fenofibrate
Increased liver enzymes, Nausea, Vomiting, Flatulence, Abdominal pain, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Fenofibrate
- ₹87 to ₹169Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹135 to ₹184USV Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹109 to ₹177Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹99 to ₹218Ordain Health Care Global Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹165 to ₹166Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹114Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹134Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹142Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹75 to ₹115Delvin Formulations Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹70Mitoch Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fenofibrate
- It should be taken with food.
- Avoid alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
- Your doctor may check your liver function before starting treatment and regularly thereafter. Notify your doctor if you are more tired than usual, do not feel hungry, or if you have yellow eyes, skin or dark urine.
- Inform your doctor if you experience muscle pain, tenderness, cramps, or weakness while taking Fenofibrate, particularly if it is accompanied by a fever.
- Do not discontinue Fenofibrate without consulting your doctor even if you feel better.
Frequently asked questions for Fenofibrate
Q. When should Fenofibrate be taken?
Usually, Fenofibrate is taken once daily with a meal. The initial dose of the medicine will depend on the type and age of the patient. Consult your doctor before you start taking the medication and follow the instructions as provided.
Q. Does Fenofibrate raise blood pressure?
There is no or negligible effect on blood pressure in patients with normal blood pressure levels. However, Fenofibrate may lead to a decrease in blood pressure in patients with high blood pressure.
Q. Can Fenofibrate cause kidney problems?
Fenofibrate should be used with caution in patients with kidney disorders. Serum creatinine levels may increase with long-term usage of Fenofibrate but is completely reversible. The evidence of kidney damage with this medicine is rare still the kidney function blood test should be done regularly if there is a possibility of kidney damage. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine. Inform the doctor if you have had any disease and all the medicines that you are taking for a better diagnosis and treatment.
Q. Can I take grapefruit juice with Fenofibrate?
Yes, you can take Fenofibrate with grapefruit juice. The possibility of interaction of the medicine with grapefruit is unlikely as they are broken down in our body by different enzymes. However, if in doubt then limit the intake of grapefruit juice while taking Fenofibrate.
Q. What drugs should not be taken with Fenofibrate?
There are few drugs like Oral Anticoagulants or blood thinners, ciclosporin, cholesterol-lowering medications like statins and contraceptives are contraindicated while you take Fenofibrate. Along with that, there are certain medicines which should not be taken with Fenofibrate and therefore you must give a proper history to your doctor regarding your ongoing medication. This is done to analyze the condition and provide a proper therapy and prescription which will help minimizing the side effects of the medication.