Information about Fenofibrate
Fenofibrate is used in the treatment of increased cholesterol levels in blood and increased triglycerides levels in blood.
How fenofibrate works
Fenofibrate stimulates the formation of enzymes for triglyceride metabolism, which in turn lowers the levels of triglyceride and cholesterol in the body.
Common side effects of fenofibrate
Increased liver enzymes, Nausea, Vomiting, Flatulence, Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea.
Available Medicine for Fenofibrate
- ₹87 to ₹142Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹123 to ₹168USV Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹109 to ₹133Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹136 to ₹137Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹82 to ₹149Ordain Health Care Global Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹113Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹86Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹142Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹64 to ₹107Delvin Formulations Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹118Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fenofibrate
- If you also take medicines such as cholestyramine or colestipol; make sure to take them at least 1 hour after or 4 hours before taking fenofibrate.
- Consult your doctor, if you have diseases such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, kidney or liver ailments.
- Do not take fenofibrate, if you are allergic to it or to any other ingredient in the medicine (lactose).
- Do not take finofibrate, if you are sensitive to sunlight.
- Do not take the medicine, if you are suffering from severe liver, kidney or pancreatic ailments (gall bladder disease, biliary cirrhosis, pancreatitis); if you have muscular disorders, large amount of protein in urine, water retention in the body (nephrotic syndrome), decreased albumin in the blood (hypoalbuminaemia) or poorly controlled diabetes mellitus.
- Do not take the medicine if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Frequently asked questions for Fenofibrate
Q. Is fenofibrate the same as Lipitor?
Fenofibrate is a drug belonging to a different class of drugs called “Fibrates”, whereas Lipitor (atorvastatin) belongs to the “Statin” class. Both the medicines act by different mechanisms
Q. Does fenofibrate cause erectile dysfunction, weight gain or memory loss?
Fenofibrate may rarely cause sexual weakness in patients. It does not cause weight gain and memory loss. Consult your doctor before use
Q. Can I take fenofibrate with Lipitor, ibuprofen, niacin, Nyquil or crestor?
Taking fenofibrate with drugs from the statin class (e.g. Atorvastatin or Lipitor; rosuvastatin or crestor) may cause muscle breakdown. There is no significant drug interaction with ibuprofen, niacin or Nyquil. However, always consult your doctor before use
Q. What is fenofibrate?
Fenofibrate belongs to a class of drugs called as fibrates or fibric acid derivatives. It is different from statins, blood thinners, diuretic and nitrate
Q. Is fenofibrate generic?
Yes, fenofibrate is a generic drug sold under several pharmaceutical brand names (TriCor, Antara, Lofibra, Stanlip, Lipicard etc.).