Information about Famotidine
Famotidine is used in the treatment of peptic ulcer disease and gastroesophageal reflux disease (acid reflux).
How famotidine works
Famotidine is a histamine H2 receptor antagonist. It works by reducing the amount of acid production in the stomach which helps in relief of acid-related indigestion and heartburn.
Common side effects of famotidine
Headache, Diarrhea, Drowsiness, Constipation
Available Medicine for Famotidine
- ₹4 to ₹75Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹4 to ₹7Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹25Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹2 to ₹5Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹29Universal Drug House Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3 to ₹7Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹5 to ₹7Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹3 to ₹5Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹37Themis Medicare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹104Era Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Famotidine
- Famotidine is a well tolerated and safe medicine with a very low incidence of side effects.
- Take it with or without food.
- Take Famotidine before going to bed if you are taking this medicine once a day as it is very effective in controlling stomach acid released in the midnight.
- If you are also taking other medications to treat acidity (e.g., antacid), take them two hours before or after taking Famotidine.
- Avoid taking soft drinks, citrus fruits like orange and lemon, which can irritate the stomach and increase acid secretion.
- Inform your doctor if you do not feel better after taking Famotidine for two weeks or 14 days as you may be suffering from some other problems.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney disease. Dose of your medicine may need to be adjusted.
- Do not stop taking medication without talking to your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Famotidine
Q. Can I take Famotidine empty stomach?
Famotidine may be taken with or without food. It can be taken once daily before bedtime or twice daily in the morning and before bedtime, as recommended.
Q. How long does it take for Famotidine to start working?
Famotidine starts working as fast as 15 minutes from when it is given. Its effect is seen to last all day or all night.
Q. What is the difference between Famotidine and omeprazole?
Famotidine and Omeprazole belong to different group of medicines. While Famotidine belongs to histamine H2 antagonists group, Omeprazole belongs to proton pump inhibitors group. These medicines (Famotidine and Omeprazole) work by reducing the amount of acid made by the stomach, to give relief of symptoms and allow healing to take place.
Q. Can I take alcohol with Famotidine?
Alcohol does not interfere with the working of Famotidine. But, you should avoid taking alcohol as it will further damage the stomach, delaying your recovery.
Q. What are the serious side effects of Famotidine?
Famotidine may have some serious side effects, but these are rare. These side effects may include hives, skin rash, itching, hoarseness and difficulty in breathing or swallowing. Another serious symptom may be swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs. Inform your doctor in case you notice any of the mentioned symptoms.
Q. What are the dos and don’ts while taking Famotidine?
Avoid taking aspirin and other painkillers used to treat arthritis, period pain or headache. These medicines may irritate the stomach and make your condition worse. Contact your doctor who may suggest other medicines. Avoid coffee, tea, cocoa and cola drinks because these contain ingredients that may irritate your stomach. Eat smaller, more frequent meals. Eat slowly and chew your food carefully. Try not to rush at meal times. You should stop or cut down on smoking.
Q. Is Famotidine safe for long-term use?
There is limited data available on whether Famotidine can be used for a long term or not, but it is a relatively safe medicine. You should take it for the duration advised by your doctor. Do not take over-the-counter Famotidine for longer than 2 weeks unless advised by your doctor.