Information about Ezetimibe
Ezetimibe is used in the treatment of high cholesterol.
How ezetimibe works
Ezetimibe is a cholesterol absorption inhibitors. It reduces the cholesterol absorption from the intestine and lowers the levels of total cholesterol and "bad" cholesterol (LDL) in the blood.
Common side effects of ezetimibe
Joint pain, Sinus inflammation, Limb pain, Diarrhoea, Respiratory tract infection
Available Medicine for Ezetimibe
- ₹85 to ₹108Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹131Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹59Unichem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹72Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹122Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹80Anglo-French Drugs & Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹120Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹122Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹66Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹122Abbott1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ezetimibe
- Decreases total cholesterol and "bad" cholesterol (LDL). This helps prevent heart attack and stroke.
- Regular exercise and low-fat diet further help to lower levels of fat in the blood.
- Can be used with other medications to lower cholesterol.
- Notify your doctor if you experience muscle symptoms (pain or weakness), particularly if you have fever, a sick feeling or dark urine.
Frequently asked questions for Ezetimibe
Q. Is Ezetimibe a bile acid sequestrent /statin?
Ezetimibe belongs to a class of medication called as cholesterol absorption inhibitors. It is not a bile acid sequestrent or statin
Q. Is Ezetimibe a generic drug / same as Ezetrol/Zetia?
Yes, Ezetimibe is a generic name and Ezetrol/Zetia is the brand name of Ezetimibe
Q. Is Ezetimibe safe?
Ezetimibe is safe, if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. How does Ezetimibe reduce cholesterol in the body?
Ezetimibe prevents the absorption of cholesterol from the intestine into the blood
Q. Does Ezetimibe cause weight gain, muscle pain, cancer, lowers triglyceride, increase HDL?
Ezetimibe lowers triglyceride, increases the level of HDL in blood and has been found to reduce weight and cause muscle pain; however, cancer has not been reported.