Information about Exemestane
Exemestane is used in the treatment of breast cancer.
How exemestane works
Exemestane is an aromatase inhibitor. It works by lowering the amount of estrogen (natural female hormone) produced in the body. This can lower or stop the growth of some breast cancer cells that need estrogen to grow.
Common side effects of exemestane
Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Headache, Nausea, Increased sweating, Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Fatigue
Available Medicine for Exemestane
- ₹1290Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5284Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- 1 variant(s)
- ₹810Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹320Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹220Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2397Zee Laboratories1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Exemestane
- Exemestane is used for the treatment of hormone dependent breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
- Take it at the same time everyday, preferably after food.
- It may cause dizziness and sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Your doctor may regularly check your Vitamin D level and bone mineral density and suggest supplements, if needed.
- Do not take Exemestane if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Exemestane
Q. What is Exemestane and what is it used for?
Exemestane is a non-steroidal medicine, which is used to treat breast cancer in women who have gone through menopause.
Q. How and in what dose should I use Exemestane?
Take it as per the advice of your doctor. The number of doses you take each day, and the duration depends on your medical problem. Take your tablet at about the same time every day to ensure consistent levels of medicine in your body. You can take it with or without food. Treatment with Exemestane may be long term and you may require to take it for several years.
Q. What if I forget to take Exemestane?
If you forget to take a dose of Exemestane, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time to your next dose, skip it and follow your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at the same time to make up for the forgotten one.
Q. Can I stop taking Exemestane?
Do not stop taking Exemestane without talking to your doctor, even if you start to feel well.
Q. What are the common side effects of using Exemestane?
Most common side effects of using Exemestane are hot flashes, feeling tired, joint pain , headache, trouble sleeping, increased sweating, depression, feeling anxious, upset stomach and difficulty in breathing. If any of these side effects bother you, consult your doctor.