Information about Exemestane
Exemestane is used in the treatment of breast cancer.
How exemestane works
Exemestane lowers the amount of estrogen (natural female hormone) produced in the body. This can lower or stop the growth of some breast cancer cells that need estrogen to grow.
Common side effects of exemestane
Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Headache, Nausea, Increased sweating, Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Fatigue
Available Medicine for Exemestane
- ₹1290Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5284Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹320Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹771Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹220Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Exemestane
- Exemestane should only be used in women who have reached menopause and cannot become pregnant. You should confirm your post-menopausal status through hormonal tests (LH, FSH and estradiol levels) before starting exemestane therapy.
- Exemestane should not be co-administered with estrogen-containing medications (such as hormone replacement therapy or birth control pills) as these can interfere with its action.
- Regular examinations to monitor reductions in bone mineral density and elevations in certain blood tests (AST, ALT, alkaline phosphatase and gamma glutamyl transferase, bilirubin, creatinine) are recommended in women receiving exemestane.
- Take precautions while driving or operating machinery as exemestane is known to cause drowsiness, sleepiness (somnolence), weakness (asthenia) and dizziness.
Frequently asked questions for Exemestane
Q. Is Exemestane a steroid/ contains steroids?
It has a steroidal structure and inhibits hormone aromatase in the body
Q. Is Exemestane a chemo drug?
Exemestane is an anti-cancer drug used in the chemotherapy of estrogen-receptor positive breast cancer (breast tumors that need estrogen to grow) in postmenopausal women
Q. Is Exemestane safe?
Exemestane is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Does Exemestane cause hair loss/ diarrhea/ depression/ osteoporosis?
Hair loss (alopecia), diarrhea, depression, thinning and weakening of bones (osteoporosis) are among the known side effects of Exemestane
Q. Does Exemestane cause weight gain/ bloating or heart failure?
Heart failure and weight gain are rare side effects observed. Bloating is not among the known side effects of Exemestane. However, please consult your doctor if you experience such side effect
Q. Is Exemestane a good PCT?
Exemestane is an aromatase inhibitor used as a post cycle therapy (PCT) to regulate hormone levels in the body following a course of anabolic steroids (pro-hormone therapies commonly used for muscle building by body builders)
Q. Does Exemestane cause gyno?
It prevents gynecomastia, colloquially referred to as ‘gyno' (enlargement of breasts in men), a common side effect of anabolic steroids.