Information about Everolimus
How everolimus works
Everolimus suppresses the activity of body's immune system and prevents rejection of the transplanted organ.
Common side effects of everolimus
Weakness, Sinus inflammation, Infection, Fever, Cough, Fatigue, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth), Otitis media (infection of ear), Diarrhea, Upper respiratory tract infection
Available Medicine for Everolimus
- ₹5168 to ₹6835Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹5250 to ₹9000Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹15000 to ₹25000Natco Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹6438 to ₹9838Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹9644 to ₹14691Biocon2 variant(s)
- ₹14285 to ₹30000Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹439 to ₹1596Biocon2 variant(s)
- ₹579 to ₹1299Panacea Biotec Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19882 to ₹60147Novartis India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19800 to ₹29700Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Everolimus
- Do not start everolimus and consult your doctor if you have liver problems, diabetes, high blood cholesterol, had a recent surgery or have unhealed wound after surgery, have infection, previously had hepatitis, are pregnant or breast-feeding or have intolerance to some sugars.
- Seek medical advice if you have increased thirst or increased frequency of urination, if you get any infection, suffer from shortness of breath, cough or fever, need to receive any vaccination after taking everolimus.
- Everolimus may affect male or female fertility; consult your doctor if you are planning to have a child.
- Do not drive or operate machinery while taking everolimus as it may cause fatigue.
Frequently asked questions for Everolimus
Q. Is Everolimus a chemotherapy?
Everolimus is an anticancer medicine. It belongs to kinase inhibitor class of medicines. It works by reducing the blood supply to the tumor, which slows down the growth and spread of cancer cells.
Q. How is Everolimus administered?
Usually, Everolimus is taken once or twice daily. The medicine should always either be taken with food or always be taken without food. Everolimus should be swallowed whole with water and should not be crushed or chewed.
Q. How long can you take Everolimus?
There is no definite duration of treatment with Everolimus. Everolimus is continued till clinical benefit is seen or unacceptable toxicity or side effects occur.
Q. Is any monitoring required while taking Everolimus?
Regular monitoring is required while you are on Everolimus. The doctor will advise blood tests to see the counts of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets since the counts may decrease during treatment with Everolimus. Also, blood tests will be required to check your kidney function, liver function, blood glucose levels, and cholesterol levels.
Q. How will I know that Everolimus is shrinking my brain tumor?
The effect of Everolimus in shrinking the size of tumor can only be checked by getting regular brain scans. It should be done as advised by your doctor and your treatment plan.
Q. What should I avoid while taking Everolimus?
You should avoid grapefruit or grapefruit juice while taking Everolimus. This is because taking them together may increase the levels of Everolimus in your blood to harmful levels. Avoid the use of live vaccinations and any possible contact with individuals who have received live vaccinations.
Q. What is the most important information I need to know about Everolimus?
Everolimus can cause serious side effects which include severe allergic reactions, angioedema, and kidney failure which can be severe and can lead to death. It is possible that you may develop an infection or problems related to lung such as breathing problems.
Q. Is Everolimus cytotoxic?
Yes, Everolimus is cytotoxic against human cancer cells of breast, stomach, prostate, and kidneys (renal cell carcinoma).