Information about Etidronate
Etidronate is used in the treatment of osteoporosis.
How etidronate works
Etidronate inhibits the activity of osteoclasts, cells that cause loss of bone.
Common side effects of etidronate
Headache, Abdominal distension, Acid reflux, Abdominal pain, Difficulty in swallowing, Dyspepsia, Flatulence, Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Esophageal ulcer.
Available Medicine for Etidronate
- ₹237Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹105Dabur India Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Etidronate
• Consume enough calcium and vitamin D and eat a balanced diet while you are taking etidronate.
• Tell your doctor if you have diarrhea, a bone fracture, trouble in swallowing, stomach or esophageal ulcer and/or kidney disease.
• Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
• Patients allergic to etidronate or any of its ingredient.
• Do not take etidronate if you have low blood calcium levels or osteomalacia (softening of the bones).
• Do not take etidronate if you have esophagus problems, including difficulty swallowing or a narrow or blocked esophagus.
• Do not take etidronate if you are unable to stand or sit upright for at least 30 minutes.
Frequently asked questions for Etidronate
Q. What is etidronate used for?
Etidronate is used to treat many conditions related to irregular bone growth
Q. Is tetrasodium etidronate natural?
Etidronate is synthetic, derived from a chemical called phosphonic acid.