Information about Erythromycin
Erythromycin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used in infections of tonsils, sinus, ear, nose, throat, skin and soft tissues.
How erythromycin works
Erythromycin is an antibiotic. It works by preventing synthesis of essential proteins required by bacteria to carry out vital functions. Thus, it stops the bacteria from growing, and prevents the infection from spreading.
Common side effects of erythromycin
Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal pain, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Erythromycin
- ₹17 to ₹77Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹61Pfizer Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹117Ipca Laboratories Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹30Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹57Cipla Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹59Leeford Healthcare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹49Syncom Formulations I Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹38Monokem Labs1 variant(s)
- ₹7BestoChem Formulations India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50Dial Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Erythromycin
- Your doctor has prescribed Erythromycin to cure your infection and improve your symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- Take it 1 hour before or two hours after food.
- Do not take antacids 2 hours before or after taking Erythromycin.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Stop taking Erythromycin and inform your doctor immediately if you develop an itchy rash, swelling of the face, throat or tongue or breathing difficulties while taking it.
Frequently asked questions for Erythromycin
Q. Can the use of Erythromycin cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Erythromycin can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If you are experiencing severe diarrhea, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. How long does Erythromycin takes to work?
Usually, Erythromycin starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Erythromycin?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Erythromycin when my symptoms are relieved?
No, do not stop taking Erythromycin and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.
Q. Can the use of Erythromycin cause infertility?
There is no firm evidence to suggest that the use of Erythromycin will cause infertility in males or females.