Information about Erythromycin
Erythromycin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used in infections of tonsils, sinus, ear, nose, throat, skin and soft tissues, windpipe and lungs (pneumonia).
How erythromycin works
Erythromycin is a macrolide antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, which are required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of erythromycin
Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea, Allergy
Available Medicine for Erythromycin
- ₹17 to ₹71Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹61Pfizer Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹97Ipca Laboratories Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹27Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹24Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹60Themis Medicare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹27 to ₹39Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹39Concept Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹21Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹18Spic Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Erythromycin
- Erythromycin will cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- It may cause an upset stomach. If this happens to you, take it with food.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete.
- Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Do not take antacids 2 hours before or after taking Erythromycin.
Frequently asked questions for Erythromycin
Q. Is Erythromycin/althrocin/erythrocin/erycin an antibiotic?
Erythromycin belongs to class of medications called macrolide antibiotics
Q. Is it penicillin?
Erythromycin is not penicillin
Q. Does Erythromycin have sulfa in it?
Erythromycin does not contain sulfa
Q. Is Erythromycin used for sinus infection, pink eye, strep throat, UTI, bladder infection, tooth infection, ear infection, chest infection or tonsillitis?
Erythromycin can be used to treat sinus infection, pink eye, strep throat, UTI, bladder infection, tooth infection, ear infection, chest infection or tonsillitis. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Is erythromycin and azithromycin the same?
Erythromycin and azithromycin belongs to same class of drugs, however they differ in their some of the indications
Q. Is Erythromycin safe?
Erythromycin is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Erythromycin over the counter drug?
Erythromycin is not an over the counter drug. It is a prescription drug
Q. Can I take erythromycin with paracetamol, ibuprofen, methotrexate or vitamins?
Interaction is not observed, when erythromycin is taken with paracetamol, ibuprofen and vitamins however do consult your doctor before use. Drug interaction may occur when methotrexate is taken with erythromycin
Q. Does Erythromycin cause gas, weight gain, and drowsiness?
Erythromycin may cause gas, weight gain and drowsiness.