Information about Erythromycin
How erythromycin works
Erythromycin is an antibiotic. It stops the bacterial growth by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, which are required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of erythromycin
Vomiting, Nausea, Pancreatic inflammation, Liver disorder, Abdominal cramp, Gastrointestinal discomfort, Anaphylactic reaction, Diarrhoea, Fainting, Fatigue, Weakness, Fever, Hearing loss, Altered heart rate, Slow heart rate, Itching, Rash, Skin reaction, Skin redness, Sore tongue, Sore mouth, Steven-johnsons syndrome, Stomach pain, Tachycardia, Vaginal itching, Vaginal discharge, Yellow discoloration of skin, Yellow discoloration of eye.
Available Medicine for Erythromycin
- ₹16 to ₹97Ipca Laboratories Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹27Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹62Sunways India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹56Themis Medicare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹24Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹38Monokem Labs1 variant(s)
- ₹63Acme Pharmaceutical1 variant(s)
- ₹11Agron Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7BestoChem Formulations India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50Dial Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Erythromycin
Do not start or continue the erythromycin tablet/capsule/suspension and consult your doctor:
- If you are allergic to erythromycin or any other ingredient of the tablet/capsule/suspension.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you have liver or heart problem or suffer from myasthenia gravis.
- If you are taking medicines for any allergic condition, migraine, raised bad lipids in your blood, drugs for mental illness, epilepsy or heart failure.
Frequently asked questions for Erythromycin
Q. Is erythromycin/althrocin/erythrocin/erycin an antibiotic?
Erythromycin belongs to class of medications called macrolide antibiotics
Q. Is it penicillin?
Erythromycin is not penicillin
Q. Does erythromycin have sulfa in it?
Erythromycin does not contain sulfa
Q. Is erythromycin used for sinus infection, pink eye, strep throat, UTI, bladder infection, tooth infection, ear infection, chest infection or tonsillitis?
Erythromycin can be used to treat sinus infection, pink eye, strep throat, UTI, bladder infection, tooth infection, ear infection, chest infection or tonsillitis. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Is erythromycin and azithromycin the same?
Erythromycin and azithromycin belongs to same class of drugs, however they differ in their some of the indications
Q. Is erythromycin safe?
Erythromycin is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is erythromycin over the counter drug?
Erythromycin is not an over the counter drug. It is a prescription drug
Q. Can I take erythromycin with paracetamol, ibuprofen, methotrexate or vitamins?
Interaction is not observed, when erythromycin is taken with paracetamol, ibuprofen and vitamins however do consult your doctor before use. Drug interaction may occur when methotrexate is taken with erythromycin
Q. Does erythromycin cause gas, weight gain, and drowsiness?
Erythromycin may cause gas, weight gain and drowsiness.