Information about Entacapone
Entacapone is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
How entacapone works
Entacapone is a selective reversible inhibitor which is given in combination with levodopa. It works by inhibiting a chemical messenger [catechol-O-methyl transferase (COMT)] which in turn helps in increasing the amount of dopamine (chemical messenger) in the body. Thus, an adequate amount of dopamine controls the brains to coordinate body movements. This is how it works to manage Parkinson's disease.
Common side effects of entacapone
Nausea, Vomiting, Fatigue, Confusion, Constipation, Nightmare, Hallucination, Increased sweating, Fall, Urine discolouration, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Dizziness, Diarrhea, Muscle coordination impaired, Ischemic heart disease, Myocardial infarction, Abdominal pain, Dryness in mouth
Available Medicine for Entacapone
- ₹59Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹82Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Entacapone
- You have been prescribed Entacapone to enhance the effectiveness of levodopa for treatment of Parkinson's disease.
- It can make you very sleepy. Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Inform your doctor if you develop impulsive, unusual behavior and/or an abnormally high sex drive.
- Talk to your doctor in case you develop hallucinations or other changes in your behavior.
- It is common to have diarrhea with this drug. Therefore, drink plenty of fluids and watch for weight loss.
- Do not get worried if you notice a reddish-brown discoloration in your urine as it is harmless in nature.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Entacapone
Q. What type of drug is Entacapone?
Entacapone belongs to a class of medicines known as COMT (catechol-O-methyltransferase) inhibitors.
Q. Can Entacapone be crushed or split? If not, then how it should be taken?
No, Entacapone should not be crushed or split. Take it as a whole with a full glass of water at the same time as you take a dose of levodopa
Q. Is Entacapone a dopamine agonist?
No, it is not a dopamine agonist. Entacapone is a selective and reversible inhibitor of COMT (catechol-O-methyltransferase) which works by increasing and maintaining sustained levels of levodopa when levodopa is given along with it.
Q. Does Entacapone cross the blood-brain barrier?
No, Entacapone does not cross the blood-brain barrier. It is useful in prolonging the duration of the benefit obtained from individual doses of levodopa.
Q. Does Entacapone have any effect on urine color?
Yes, Entacapone may cause your urine to change to a brownish-orange color. This effect is common and is not harmful.
Q. Will Entacapone make me sleepy?
The combined use of Entacapone and levodopa has been associated with cases of excessive daytime sleepiness and sudden sleep onset episodes. If you experience these symptoms, then you should neither drive nor operate other complex machinery. Consult your doctor if it becomes troublesome.
Q. What is meant by impulse control disorder caused by Entacapone?
In impulse control disorders, you may get urges or cravings to behave in ways that are unusual for you. In such disorders, you cannot resist the impulse, drive or temptation to carry out certain activities that could harm yourself or others. Additionally, it may include addictive gambling, excessive eating or spending, an abnormally high sex drive or a preoccupation with an increase in sexual thoughts or feelings. In such a case, your doctor may suggest dose reduction or discontinuation of dose.
Q. What if I accidentally take more than the recommended doses of Entacapone?
In case you take more than the recommended doses of Entacapone, you may experience confusion, decreased activity, sleepiness, decreased muscle tone, skin discoloration, and urticaria. If any such symptoms occur, you should seek immediate medical attention in a nearby hospital or contact your doctor.
Q. Does Entacapone affect fertility?
No, Entacapone does not affect fertility. However, it should be avoided by pregnant and lactating women because there is no sufficient data to support the safety of this patient group.
Q. When should I take entacapone?
Entacapone can be taken anytime but for better response it should be taken around the same time everyday. This also helps you to remember taking it.