Information about Entacapone
Entacapone is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
How entacapone works
Entacapone works by increasing the amount of dopamine, a chemical messenger that is needed to control movements in the brain.
Common side effects of entacapone
Nausea, Vomiting, Fatigue, Confusion, Angina pectoris, Constipation, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Nightmare, Hallucination, Increased sweating, Fall, Abnormality of voluntary movements, Urine discolouration
Available Medicine for Entacapone
- ₹74Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹54Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Entacapone
- Seek advice if you experience any new, unusual, or increased urges (eg, gambling, sexual urges) while using entacapone.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you develop symptoms of Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (fever, stiff muscles, confusion, abnormal thinking, fast or irregular heartbeat, and sweating) which is a possibly fatal syndrome that can be caused by entacapone.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as entacapone may cause dizziness or drowsiness.
- Do not consume alcohol as it may worsen the side effects of entacapone.
- Avoid situations (such as hot weather, exercise) which may aggravate the side effects of entacapone (dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting). To prevent such side effects, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning.
- Take precautions to stay hydrated as entacapone may cause diarrhea, which typically begins within 4 to 12 weeks of starting the treatment. Seek immediate medical attention, if you have severe, persistent, or watery diarrhea.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Entacapone
Q. Is entacapone a dopamine agonist?
No, entacapone is not a dopamine agonist
Q. Is Entacapone a controlled substance?
Yes, Entacapone is a controlled substance and may not be available OTC
Q. Does Entacapone cross the bbb?
No, Entacapone does not cross the blood brain barrier
Q. Does Entacapone lower blood pressure?
No, Entacapone does not lower blood pressure.