Information about Drotaverine
Drotaverine is used in menstrual pain and abdominal pain. It relieves pain due to smooth muscle spasm like menstrual pain, pain due to kidney stone, pain due to biliary stone and gastro-intestinal colicky pain.
How drotaverine works
Drotaverine is an antispasmodic medicine with smooth muscle relaxant property. It increases the levels of chemical messengers that relieve the pain due to smooth muscle spasm or tightness.
Common side effects of drotaverine
Headache, Fainting, Nausea, Vomiting, Constipation, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Decreased blood pressure
Available Medicine for Drotaverine
- ₹19 to ₹196Walter Bushnell7 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹55Mankind Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹76Overseas Healthcare Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹64Mapra Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5 to ₹52Mapra Laboratories Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹36 to ₹68Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹17Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹46Maneesh Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹368Psychotropics India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹91Astrum Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Drotaverine
- Take drotaverine tablets 20 minutes before a meal to relieve or reduce post meal symptoms.
- Consult your doctor before you start drotaverine if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Stop taking drotaverine and consult a doctor, if experience severe allergic reactions.
- Due to possible side effects such as dizziness and vertigo resulting from hypotension, you should avoid driving or using machines.
Frequently asked questions for Drotaverine
Q. What is Drotaverine used for/ What does Drotaverine treat?
Drotaverine is used to treat spasm of smooth muscles in organs such as stomach and heart. Drotaverine is mainly used to relieve painful spasms associated with chronic gastroduodenitis (inflammation of the stomach and the duodenum of the small intestine), gastric and duodenal ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome (disorder of the intestines that leads to cramps in the abdomen) and many more conditions of the stomach and intestine that are associated with painful spasm. It may also be used to relieve pain during menstruation (dysmenorrhea).