Information about Dronedarone
Dronedarone is used in the treatment of arrhythmias.
How dronedarone works
Dronedarone is an anti-arrhythmic medication. It works by blocking abnormal electrical signals in the heart to correct irregular heartbeat to a normal rhythm.
Common side effects of dronedarone
Nausea, Vomiting, Weakness, Abdominal pain, Dyspepsia, Congestive cardiac failure, Diarrhoea, Increased liver enzymes, Rash, Fatigue
Available Medicine for Dronedarone
- ₹840Sanofi India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹469 to ₹690Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Dronedarone
- Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of heart failure such as weight gain, swelling in lower parts of the body (dependent edema), increasing breathlessness (dyspnea) while on dronedarone treatment.
- You must take treatment for potassium and magnesium deficiencies (hypokalemia and hypomagnesemia) before starting treatment with dronedarone.
- You may be monitored with blood creatinine tests as its level may rise during dronedarone treatment.
- Use dronedarone with caution if you have heart diseases (e.g. coronary artery disease) or are an elderly patient (?75 years) with multiple complications.
- You must be regularly examined for heart, liver, kidney and lung functions during treatment with dronedarone.
- Take precautions to avoid pregnancy while on dronedarone treatment and consult your doctor immediately if you get to know that you are pregnant.
- Use of dronedarone is not recommended in children aged below 18 years.
Frequently asked questions for Dronedarone
Q. Is dronedarone safe?
Dronedarone is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is dronedarone a beta blocker?
Dronedarone is an antiarrhythmic medication that blocks multiple ion channels. It is not a beta blocker; however it is known to have indirect inhibitory effect on beta receptors
Q. How is dronedarone excreted?
After oral administration of dronedarone, it is excreted in its changed form (metabolites) in the feces and urine
Q. Does dronedarone lower blood pressure?
Yes. Dronedarone has known effects on lowering blood pressure
Q. How does dronedarone differ from amiodarone?
Dronedarone and amiodarone are both antiarrhythmic medications. They have similar uses but are prescribed for different cases of heart beat rhythm irregularities
Q. What is dronedarone hydrochloride?
Dronedarone hydrochloride is an anti-arrhythmic medication
Q. What is it used for?
Used for treatment of irregular rhythm of heartbeats (paroxysmal or persistent atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter) and to prevent recurrence of the problem and hospitalization for irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias)
Q. Does it work?
The effectiveness of dronedarone may vary upon individual response.