Information about Doxycycline
Doxycycline is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How doxycycline works
Doxycycline is an antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by preventing synthesis of essential proteins required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of doxycycline
Photosensitivity, Injection site reactions (pain, swelling, redness), Vomiting, Nausea, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Doxycycline
- ₹26Shreya Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹523Gufic Bioscience Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹29Comed Chemicals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹79Comed Chemicals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹59Bennet Pharmaceuticals Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹74Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹34Bennet Pharmaceuticals Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹76Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹45Moraceae Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Doxycycline
- Your doctor has prescribed Doxycycline to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- It may cause dizziness. Don't drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how Doxycycline affects you.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Discontinue Doxycycline and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure and use sunscreen and protective clothing when outdoors.
- Take it while you are sitting or standing, to prevent any throat irritation. Do not lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking Doxycycline.
- Take it with food and plenty of water to avoid stomach upset.
Frequently asked questions for Doxycycline
Q. Can I drink milk while taking Doxycycline?
No, you should avoid using milk and milk products while taking Doxycycline. Consuming dairy products along with Doxycycline can decrease its absorption from the stomach, which may lead to inadequate affect of this medicine.
Q. How long after taking Doxycycline can I eat?
It is best to wait for 2 hours after consuming Doxycycline. Consuming food along with Doxycycline may decrease its absorption from the stomach.
Q. Can I take Doxycycline with food if its causing stomach upset?
Yes, you can take Doxycycline with food if its causing you stomach upset. However, avoid consuming milk and milk products 1 hr before and 2 hr after taking this medicine.
Q. How long does Doxycycline takes to work?
Usually, Doxycycline starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. Can the use of Doxycycline cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Doxycycline can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If diarrhea persists, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. Can Doxycycline be used in children?
According to the updated guidelines (2018) from American Academy of Pediatrics, Doxycycline can be used in children of all ages for less than 21 days.
Q. Does Doxycycline works in acne?
Yes, Doxycycline is one of the most commonly prescribed oral antibiotics, which is used in the treatment of acne. It reduces the number of bacteria that causes acne on the skin.