Information about Doxycycline
Doxycycline is used in the treatment of bacterial infections and filariasis.
How doxycycline works
Doxycycline is an antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, which are required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of doxycycline
Nausea, Rash, Vomiting, Urticaria, Haemolytic anemia, Loss of appetite, Diarrhoea, Photosensitivity
Available Medicine for Doxycycline
- ₹11Shreya Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Comed Chemicals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹56Comed Chemicals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹67Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹59Bennet Pharmaceuticals Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹15Leben Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹34Bennet Pharmaceuticals Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹9Overseas Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Doxycycline
- Take doxycycline with food to prevent stomach discomfort.
- If you are taking birth control pills, take additional contraceptive measure while taking doxycycline and till 7 days after stopping doxycycline.
- Wear sunblock if you have to go out into the sun, since your skin can become more sensitive to sunburn.
- Do not start or continue the doxycycline tablets/capsule and consult your doctor if you ever have had allergic reaction after taking doxycycline.
- Do not take any vitamin supplements two hours before or after taking this drug.
- Do not take any medications with bismuth (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate) while taking this medication.
- Do not lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking this medication.
- Do not take doxycycline, if you are pregnant, breast-feeding or planning to become pregnant.
Frequently asked questions for Doxycycline
Q. Is Doxicip 100/Doxt s/doxycycline a steroid, a macrolide or a penicillin?
Doxycycline belongs to class of medications called tetracycline antibiotics. Doxycycline is not a steroid, does not belong to penicillin family and is not a macrolide antibiotic
Q. Is Doxycycline safe?
If used for approved indication in appropriate doses, Doxycycline is relatively safe. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Can I take Doxycycline for cold, flu, sore throat, boils, strep infection, and ear infection?
Doxycycline is not used to treat viral infection such as common cold and flu. Doxycycline can be used to treat sore throat, boils, strep infection, ear infection
Q. Does Doxycycline cover methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus?
It is used for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection. Always consult your doctor before use
Q. Can I take doxycycline with ibuprofen, prednisone, Nyquil, azithromycin, antihistaminic or Tylenol?
Doxycycline may be taken with ibuprofen, prednisone, Nyquil, azithromycin, antihistaminic or Tylenol. However, consult your doctor before use it together, for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice
Q. Does Doxycycline work for acne scars?
Doxycycline helps in preventing the formation of new acne scars, but may not work for the scars which have already formed
Q. Does Doxycycline cause weight gain, tiredness, or headache?
Doxycycline may cause weight gain, tiredness and headache. These effects may vary with the individual taking the medicine.