Information about Doxycycline
Doxycycline is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How doxycycline works
Doxycycline is an antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, which are required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of doxycycline
Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Doxycycline
- ₹11Shreya Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹21Comed Chemicals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹10Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹56Comed Chemicals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹67Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹59Bennet Pharmaceuticals Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹15Leben Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹34Bennet Pharmaceuticals Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹9Overseas Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Doxycycline
- Your doctor has prescribed Doxycycline to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not take calcium, antacids or iron at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after taking Doxycycline.
- Take Doxycycline with food and plenty of fluids to avoid an upset stomach and acid reflux.
- Make sure you complete the course even if you start to feel better.
- Discontinue Doxycycline and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Doxycycline
Q. Is Doxicip 100/Doxt s/doxycycline a steroid, a macrolide or a penicillin?
Doxycycline belongs to class of medications called tetracycline antibiotics. Doxycycline is not a steroid, does not belong to penicillin family and is not a macrolide antibiotic
Q. Is Doxycycline safe?
If used for approved indication in appropriate doses, Doxycycline is relatively safe. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Can I take Doxycycline for cold, flu, sore throat, boils, strep infection, and ear infection?
Doxycycline is not used to treat viral infection such as common cold and flu. Doxycycline can be used to treat sore throat, boils, strep infection, ear infection
Q. Does Doxycycline cover methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus?
It is used for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection. Always consult your doctor before use
Q. Can I take doxycycline with ibuprofen, prednisone, Nyquil, azithromycin, antihistaminic or Tylenol?
Doxycycline may be taken with ibuprofen, prednisone, Nyquil, azithromycin, antihistaminic or Tylenol. However, consult your doctor before use it together, for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice
Q. Does Doxycycline work for acne scars?
Doxycycline helps in preventing the formation of new acne scars, but may not work for the scars which have already formed
Q. Does Doxycycline cause weight gain, tiredness, or headache?
Doxycycline may cause weight gain, tiredness and headache. These effects may vary with the individual taking the medicine.