Information about Donepezil
Donepezil is used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. It should be used in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease.
How Donepezil works
Memory loss in Alzheimer’s disease occurs due to disturbances of signal transmission in the brain. Donepezil is a cholinesterase inhibitor. It works by increasing the levels of a chemical messenger (acetylcholine) involved in transmmission of nerve signals. This improves memory and thinking.
Common side effects of Donepezil
Nausea, Diarrhea, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Weight loss, Accidental injury
Available Medicine for Donepezil
DonepAlkem Laboratories Ltd
₹189 to ₹3374 variant(s)
AricepEisai Pharmaceuticals India Pvt Ltd
₹125 to ₹3843 variant(s)
AlzilIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹117 to ₹2614 variant(s)
DonetazSun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
₹12 to ₹2964 variant(s)
₹116 to ₹1602 variant(s)
LapezilLa Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd
₹115 to ₹1652 variant(s)
DnpShine Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹76 to ₹1142 variant(s)
DopezilSun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
₹106 to ₹1512 variant(s)
Donep OdtAlkem Laboratories Ltd
₹115 to ₹1712 variant(s)
CognidepAlteus Biogenics Pvt Ltd
₹156 to ₹2503 variant(s)
Expert advice for Donepezil
- You have been prescribed Donepezil to slow down the progression of Alzheimer's disease.
- It does not cure Alzheimer's disease but may help improve brain function and ability to do daily activities.
- Take it with or without food, preferably at night before going to bed.
- It may cause diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. Drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated while taking Donepezil.
- Monitor your body weight regularly as both Donepezil and Alzheimer's disease can cause weight loss.
- Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how Donepezil affects you.
- Be cautious while taking this medicine if you suffer from peptic ulcer as it may cause vomiting, stomach bleeding, stomach pain, or discomfort.
- Inform your doctor if you develop muscle tremors, especially if you have Parkinson’s disease.
- Inform your doctor if you experience seizures or convulsions while taking this medicine.