How it works
Common side effects
- 1 variant(s)
- Together with Docusate, fiber rich diet containing whole grain bread and cereals, bran, fruits and green leafy vegetables, is essential to maintain healthy bowel function.
- Avoid taking a Docusate for more than 1 week, unless prescribed by the doctor, as it leads to dependency on the laxative action to produce a bowel movement.
- Take Docusate after 2 hours from other medicines, as it may interfere with the absorption of other medicines.
- A Docusate should be preferably taken at bedtime because it requires 6 to 8 hours to show impact.
- Docusate may be taken with milk or fruit juice to improve the flavor.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is docusate sodium the same as Colace?
Yes, docusate sodium is the same as Colace
Q. Is docusate sodium addictive/cause dependency?
Docusate is addictive and leads to dependency when used for a long time
Q. Is docusate sodium gluten free?
Docusate sodium is gluten free
Q. Is docusate sodium safe for long term use?
Long-term use of docusate sodium leads to dependency. Prolonged use interferes with normal bowel function
Q. How long can I take docusate sodium for?
Docusate sodium should be taken for the duration recommended by the doctor depending on the severity of the condition
Q. Does docusate sodium cause water retention?
Docusate causes water retention so that the water is absorbed by the stools in the gut making the stool softer and easier to pass
Q. Does docusate sodium raise blood pressure?
Docusate sodium does not raise blood pressure.