Information about Diltiazem
Diltiazem is used in the treatment of Hypertension (high blood pressure), Angina (heart-related chest pain) and Arrhythmias.
How diltiazem works
Diltiazem is a calcium channel blocker. It blocks the action of calcium on the heart and blood vessels, thereby widening the blood vessels and allowing more blood and oxygen to reach the heart. This reduces blood pressure and decreases the chances of angina (chest pain).
Common side effects of diltiazem
Headache, Nausea, Fatigue, Dizziness, Feeling of discomfort, Dyspepsia, Stomach pain, Peripheral edema, Constipation, Redness of skin, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Slow heart rate, Palpitations
Available Medicine for Diltiazem
- ₹100 to ₹243Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹148Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹101 to ₹163Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹157Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹142Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹51 to ₹214Modi Mundi Pharma Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹63 to ₹163Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹25 to ₹107Micro Labs Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹215Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹65J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Diltiazem
- It may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- It may cause you to feel lightheaded or weak especially when you stand up (orthostatic hypotension). Rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- It is best to avoid drinking alcohol while taking Diltiazem as it may make the side effects worse.
Frequently asked questions for Diltiazem
Q. Can I stop taking Diltiazem if I feel well?
No, keep using Diltiazem as advised by your doctor, even if you feel well. Stopping Diltiazem suddenly may lead to serious complications due to very high blood pressure.