Information about Dicloxacillin
Dicloxacillin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How dicloxacillin works
Dicloxacillin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from forming their own protective covering which is required for their survival in the human body.
Common side effects of dicloxacillin
Nausea, Allergic reaction, Diarrhoea, Vomiting
Available Medicine for Dicloxacillin
- ₹33 to ₹60Hetero Drugs Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Dicloxacillin
- Make sure you complete the course even if you start to feel better.
- It is better to take with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Discontinue Dicloxacillin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Dicloxacillin
Q. Is dicloxacillin a penicillin, tetracycline or a broad spectrum antibiotic?
Dicloxacillin belongs to class of medicines called penicillin antibiotics. Dicloxacillin is not a tetracycline or a broad spectrum antibiotic
Q. Does it contain sulfa?
It does not contain sulfa
Q. Is dicloxacillin used to treat sexually transmitted disease, strep throat, and methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)?
Dicloxacillin can be used to treat strep throat. It is not approved to treat sexually transmitted diseases and is not active against MRSA
Q. Is dicloxacillin the same as amoxicillin?
Dicloxacillin and amoxicillin belongs to same category of drugs with similar action, dicloxacillin is resistant to beta-lactamase producing organism, while amoxicillin is susceptible to degradation by beta-lactamase producing organism
Q. Can I take dicloxacillin with Tylenol, Advil, Benadryl, and Tums?
Dicloxacillin can be taken with Tylenol, Benadryl and Tums. Dicloxacillin when taken with Advil (ibuprofen) may increase the effects of either dicloxacillin or ibuprofen
Q. Does dicloxacillin decrease milk supply?
Generally, dicloxacillin does not decrease milk secretion
Q. Does dicloxacillin cause heartburn?
It may cause heartburn.