Information about Diazepam
Diazepam is used in the treatment of anxiety, epilepsy, muscle spasms and alcohol withdrawal.
How diazepam works
Diazepam is a benzodiazepine. It works by increasing the action of GABA, a chemical messenger which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of diazepam
Sleepiness, Memory impairment, Uncoordinated body movements, Dizziness, Headache, Dry mouth, Fatigue, Depression, Irritability, Slurred speech, Constipation
Available Medicine for Diazepam
- ₹13 to ₹65Abbott India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹118Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹10Geno Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹21East India Pharmaceutical Works Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹12Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹33Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹35Arrow Pharma3 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹60View Laboratories2 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹25Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹18Theo Pharma Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Diazepam
- The addiction / habit-forming potential of Diazepam is very high.
- If you are taking Diazepam for the treatment of insomnia and anxiety, it should not be used more than 4 weeks.
- It may become less effective over the time.
- Avoid driving or operating dangerous machinery as it may decrease alertness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Diazepam, as it may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Diazepam
Q. Is diazepam an opioid/ painkiller/ barbiturate/ sedative/ muscle relaxant?
Diazepam belongs to a class of medication called as benzodiazepine. It produces sedation and also causes muscle relaxation. It is not a barbiturate, and does not relieve pain
Q. Is diazepam a sleeping pill?
Diazepam is used as sedative drug which induces sleep
Q. Is diazepam a narcotic/controlled drug?
Diazepam is considered as a narcotic drug, as it has low, but definite potential to cause addiction, resulting in abuse of the drug; hence, its sale is controlled. It is available only according to the prescription of a doctor
Q. How long can I take diazepam for?
It is advisable to take this drug only till prescribed by the doctor
Q. Can I take diazepam for back pain/toothache/anxiety/hangover?
Diazepam is used in the treatment of short-term relief (2-4 weeks) of severe anxiety. It is not a pain-relieving medication, and cannot be used to relieve pain. It does not relieve hangover
Q. Does diazepam help with opioid withdrawal?
Diazepam is used to induce sleep, control fits and other symptoms of withdrawal of opioids as well as other depressant drugs
Q. Does diazepam cause weight gain/drowsiness/thins blood?
Drowsiness is the most common side effect of diazepam. There is no evidence that it causes weight gain, or thinning of blood
Q. Does diazepam show on blood test?
Yes, diazepam can be detected in blood, as well as urine, even when it is taken at prescribed doses
Q. Does diazepam make you high?
Diazepam is a benzodiazepine, which calms down the brain to relieve symptoms of brain hyperactivity. This effect may be perceived by some as pleasant, or ‘getting high'. Diazepam is considered as a narcotic drug, as it has low, but definite potential to cause addiction, resulting in abuse of the drug; hence, its sale is controlled. It is available only according to the prescription of a doctor.