Information about Dexmedetomidine
Dexmedetomidine is used as sedation in intensive care unit (icu).
How dexmedetomidine works
Dexmedetomidine works by modulating the action of certain chemical messengers in the brain that relieves pain and induces sleep.
Common side effects of dexmedetomidine
Dry mouth, Decreased blood pressure, Slow heart rate.
Available Medicine for Dexmedetomidine
- ₹523Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹194 to ₹670Neon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹220 to ₹690Themis Medicare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹112 to ₹635Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹555Gland Pharma Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹300Fusion Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Dexmedetomidine
- You may be monitored for change in heart rate and blood pressure during treatment with dexmedetomidine.
- Dexmedetomidine should not be infused for periods >24 hours. It is not necessary to discontinue the drug prior to extubation (removal of tube placed in windpipe) provided that duration of infusion is ?24 hours.
- Continuous cardiac and respiratory monitoring is recommended in patients receiving dexmedetomidine infusion.
- Use with caution if you have abnormally slow heart rate, low blood pressure, low blood volume (e.g. after bleeding), certain heart disorders, neurological disorder (e.g. head or spinal cord injury or stroke), severe liver problems or have ever developed a serious fever after some medicines, especially anaesthetics.
- Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Do not breastfeed while on Dexmedetomidine.
Frequently asked questions for Dexmedetomidine
Q. What is dexmedetomidine/dexmedetomidine HCL used for?
Dexmedetomidine/ dexmedetomidine HCL is used to provide sedation (a state of calm, drowsiness or sleep) for adult patients in intensive care settings (i.e. in initially intubated and mechanically ventilated patients or non-intubated patients prior to and/or during surgical and other procedures)
Q. What class is dexmedetomidine/ is dexmedetomidine a controlled substance?
It is a sedative that belongs toclassof drugs called centrally active selective 2A agonists.It is not a controlled drug/substance
Q. Is dexmedetomidine approved by FDA?
Yes, dexmedetomidine approved by FDA
Q. Does dexmedetomidine cause amnesia/pain on inje ction/bradycardia?
Dexmedetomidine is given as an infusion (drip) into veins. It may cause pain at injection site and low heart rate (bradycardia). It does not cause amnesia
Q. How does dexmedetomidine work?
Dexmedetomidine activates the central 2A receptors which causes sedation and analgesia.