Information about Desmopressin
Desmopressin is used in the treatment of central diabetes insipidus and bed-wetting.
How desmopressin works
Desmopressin have the same structure as that of the natural hormone vasopressin. Vasopressin lowers the amount of urine and bleeding by constricting (narrowing) the blood vessels which, in turn, prevents the loss of water from the body.
Common side effects of desmopressin
Headache, Stomach pain, Nausea.
Available Medicine for Desmopressin
- ₹484 to ₹1458Ferring Pharmaceuticals5 variant(s)
- ₹274 to ₹1128United Biotech Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1080Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Desmopressin
- Consult your doctor if you are suffering from any of the following conditions: kidney disease, heart diseases such as coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, high/low blood pressure, abnormal levels of sodium/potassium in blood (electrolyte imbalance), cystic fibrosis or any psychological condition causing unusual thirst; asthma, epilepsy (fits) or migraine headache.
- Restricting the intake of water or other fluids is very important while taking desmopressin. Drinking excess water during desmopressin therapy may cause life-threatening electrolyte imbalance, and may also cause fits. Follow your doctor’s instructions carefully about fluid intake.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding.
- Restrict consumption of alcohol as it may worsen the side effects.
- Low doses of desmopressin should be taken without food for better effect.
Frequently asked questions for Desmopressin
Q. Does desmopressin cause weight gain/increase in blood pressure/constipation?
Desmopressin may cause weight gain or increase in blood pressure as its side effects. It is not known to cause constipation. Consult your doctor if you observe any such symptoms after taking this medicine
Q. Is desmopressin the same as vasopressin?
Desmopressin is a man-made form of hormone similar to vasopressin. Vasopressin is a natural hormone present in body which regulates the amount of water that body uses
Q. Is desmopressin a steroid?
Desmopressin is not a steroid
Q. Does desmopressin acetate work/Is it safe?
Desmopressin/ desmopressin acetate is safe and effective if taken as per the dose and duration prescribed by a doctor. Please follow your doctor's instructions carefully about usage of this drug
Q. Is desmopressin a psychotropic medication?
Yes. Desmopressin is a psychotropic medication
Q. Is it a diuretic?
It is not a diuretic.