Information about Demeclocycline
Demeclocycline is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How demeclocycline works
Demeclocycline is an antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, which are required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of demeclocycline
Rash, Nausea, Vomiting, Loss of appetite, Photosensitivity, Urticaria, Haemolytic anemia, Diarrhoea.
Available Medicine for Demeclocycline
- ₹19 to ₹41Pfizer Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Demeclocycline
- Do not take demeclocycline with milk or food products derived from milk.
- Do not take iron and calcium supplements, antacids, or laxatives within 2 hours before or after taking democlocycline.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight as demeclocycline may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight.
- Exercise caution while taking demeclocycline if you suffer from myasthenia gravis (neuromuscular disease characterized by very weak muscles and unusual tiredness) or have liver or kidney disorder.
- Inform your doctor if you have intolerance to sucrose or lactose.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking other drugs like penicillin, methoxyflurane, oral contraceptives, or if you have taken oral typhoid vaccine recently.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery as demeclocycline causes headache, dizziness and visual disturbances.
- Do not give to Patients who are allergic to tetracycline class of antibiotics, demeclocycline or to any of its ingredients.
- Do not give to patients with severe kidney or liver problems.
- Do not give to patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (a condition characterized by a rash especially on the face, hair loss, fever, malaise and joint pain).
- Do not give to children under 12 years old.
- Avoid if patients is Pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Do not give to patients with acute porphyria (disorder involving abnormal metabolism of the haemoglobin)
Frequently asked questions for Demeclocycline
Q. How long does demeclocycline take to work?
It appears that demeclocycline takes 3-4 hours to work and half of the drug is eliminated in 12 hours.