Information about Decitabine
How decitabine works
Decitabine interferes with the growth of DNA and RNA of the cancer cells by substituting their building blocks. It prevents the cancer cells from growing and multiplying.
Common side effects of decitabine
Nausea, Vomiting, Headache, Fever, Lung infection, Decreased white blood cell count (neutrophils), Nosebleeds, Anemia (low number of red blood cells), Low blood platelets, Diarrhea, Pneumonia
Available Medicine for Decitabine
- ₹5187Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3562 to ₹4251Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹6229Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3401Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5097Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5980Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5416Getwell Oncology Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3563BDR Pharmaceuticals Internationals Pvt1 variant(s)
- ₹61430Johnson & Johnson Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Decitabine
- Decitabine is used for the treatment of cancer of the blood.
- It is given via a drip into a vein (intravenously).
- Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Use a reliable contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy while you are taking this medicine.
- Your doctor may get regular blood and urine tests done to monitor your blood cells, kidney and liver function during treatment with this medicine.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you notice any signs of infection such as fever, sore throat, rash or severe diarrhea.
Frequently asked questions for Decitabine
Q. Is Decitabine a vesicant?
Decitabine is not a vesicant and is not known to cause severe local tissue damage upon extravasation (leaking of injected Decitabine into the surrounding tissues from the site of administration) when injected
Q. How effective is Decitabine?
The effectiveness of Decitabine depends upon several factors including the patient's clinical condition, number of treatment cycles etc. and may vary depending upon the individual response
Q. Does Decitabine cause hair loss?
Yes. Hair loss (alopecia) is among the known side effects of Decitabine
Q. How is Decitabine administered?
Decitabine comes as a powder to be to be added to fluid and injected slowly over 3 hours into a vein (slow i.v infusion) by a doctor who is experienced in giving chemotherapy medications for cancer in a hospital or a clinic.