Information about Cytarabine
Cytarabine is used in the treatment of blood cancer.
How cytarabine works
Cytarabine interferes with the growth of DNA and RNA of the cancer cells by substituting their building blocks. It prevents the cancer cells from growing and multiplying.
Common side effects of cytarabine
Rash, Skin ulcer, Low blood platelets, Sepsis, Mouth ulcer, Vomiting, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Infection, Pneumonia, Decreased white blood cell count, Anal ulcer, Hair loss, Fever, Anemia (low number of red blood cells), Sore mouth, Liver function abnormal, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth)
Available Medicine for Cytarabine
- ₹268 to ₹1321Pfizer Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹168 to ₹1171Celon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹177 to ₹947Fresenius Kabi India Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹207 to ₹1241Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries3 variant(s)
- ₹1634Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹189 to ₹1006Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹352 to ₹1925Vhb Life Sciences Inc2 variant(s)
- ₹163 to ₹895United Biotech Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹541Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1750Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cytarabine
- Cytarabine is used for the treatment of cancer of the blood.
- It is given via a drip into a vein (intravenously).
- Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Use a reliable contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy while you are taking this medicine.
- Your doctor may get regular blood and urine tests done to monitor your blood cells, kidney and liver function during treatment with this medicine.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you notice any signs of infection such as fever, sore throat, rash or severe diarrhea.
Frequently asked questions for Cytarabine
Q. Is Cytarabine a vesicant?
No. Cytarabine is not a vesicant (irritant) but should be handled with care
Q. Is Cytarabine ototoxic?
No. Ototoxicity is not reported with use of Cytarabine. However, please consult your doctor if you experience such side effect
Q. Is Cytarabine cytotoxic?
Yes. Cytarabine is a cytotoxic drug
Q. Does Cytarabine cause hair loss?
Yes. Cytarabine may cause hair loss
Q. How does Cytarabine prevent DNA replication?
Cytarabine prevents deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) replication through inhibiting the synthesis of DNA.