Cytarabine is used in the treatment of ovarian cancer, head and neck cancer, cervical cancer, testicular cancer., breast cancer, non-hodgkin lymphoma (nhl), blood cancer, lung cancer, bone cancer and urinary bladder cancer.
How it works
Cytarabine interferes with the growth of DNA and RNA of the cancer cells by substituting their building blocks. It prevents the cancer cells from growing and multiplying.
Common side effects
Rash, Skin ulcer, Reduced blood platelets, Sepsis, Mouth ulcer, Vomiting, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Infection, Pneumonia, Decreased white blood cell count, Anal ulcer, Hair loss, Fever, Anemia, Sore mouth, Liver function abnormal, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth)
- ₹256 to ₹1321Pfizer Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹177 to ₹947Fresenius Kabi India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹189 to ₹1006Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹352 to ₹1925Vhb Life Sciences Inc2 variant(s)
- ₹217 to ₹978Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries3 variant(s)
- ₹168 to ₹1171Celon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹250 to ₹1180Vhb Life Sciences Inc2 variant(s)
- ₹541Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1750Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- You may be monitored closely for severity of symptoms.
- You will be told to undergo tests for blood counts, bone marrow, liver and kidney functions at regular intervals of time.
- Inform your doctor if you have recently received chemotherapy or radiotherapy or you are scheduled for radiotherapy.
- Consult your doctor if you are suffering from any liver disorder.
- Stop taking cytarabine if you develop severe allergic reaction.
- Taking cytarabine may increase your uric acid level in the blood. Seek medical advice for necessary precautions.
- Avoid vaccination with live vaccine to eliminate risk of life threatening reaction.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is cytarabine a vesicant?
No. Cytarabine is not a vesicant (irritant) but should be handled with care
Q. Is cytarabine ototoxic?
No. Ototoxicity is not reported with use of cytarabine. However, please consult your doctor if you experience such side effect
Q. Is cytarabine cytotoxic?
Yes. Cytarabine is a cytotoxic drug
Q. Does cytarabine cause hair loss?
Yes. Cytarabine may cause hair loss
Q. How does cytarabine prevent DNA replication?
Cytarabine prevents deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) replication through inhibiting the synthesis of DNA.