Information about Cloxacillin
Cloxacillin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How cloxacillin works
Cloxacillin is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by attacking their cell wall. Specifically, it prevents the synthesis of a substance in the cell wall called peptidoglycan, which provides the cell wall with the strength required for survival of bacteria in human body.
Common side effects of cloxacillin
Nausea, Allergic reaction, Vomiting, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Cloxacillin
- ₹7 to ₹61Lyka Labs5 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹120S R Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
- ₹10Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cloxacillin
- It should not be taken by patients who are allergic to cloxacillin or any of the other penicillins or cephalosporin.
- Cloxacillin may decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. Use a second method of birth control while taking cloxacillin to protect against pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor before taking cloxacillin, if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you are on long-term treatment with cloxacillin, your kidney and liver function, and your blood cell count may have to be done regularly.
Frequently asked questions for Cloxacillin
Q. Is cloxacillin a penicillin/antibiotic?
Cloxacillin belongs to a class of medication called penicillin antibiotics. It does not contain penicillin but is structurally similar to it. It is is used to treat bacterial infections in the body affecting the ear, nose, throat, lungs (pneumonia), skin and skin structure infections, urinary bladder infection (cystitis), infection of the valves of the heart, bone infections, especially those caused by the resistant staphylococcus bacteria
Q. What does it treat?
It is also used to treat leprosy and lepra-reaction seen in leprosy, and to prevent infection during surgery
Q. Is cloxacillin the same as amoxicillin?
Cloxacillin is not the same as amoxicillin, but they belong to the same class of medication called penicillin antibiotics
Q. Is Cloxacillin used for treating tonsillitis/ boils/acne/chlamydia/streptococcus infections?
Cloxacillin is not commonly used to treat tonsillitis/boils/acne/chlamydia. It may be used to treat streptococcus infections but is more commonly used for staphylococcus infections
Q. Does Cloxacillin cause weight gain or sleepiness?
These are no studies showing any relation between weight gain, sleepiness and Cloxacillin use
Q. Does it affect menstruation?
It is not known to affect menstruation
Q. Can I take Advil (ibuprofen)/ Tylenol (paracetamol) with Cloxacillin?
There are no known interactions between Cloxacillin and Advil (ibuprofen)/ Tylenol (paracetamol). But doctor's advice should be followed about taking both the medications together
Q. Is Cloxacillin safe for G6PD?
Yes, Cloxacillin can be safely used in patients who have deficiency of the enzyme glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD)
Q. Does Cloxacillin expire?
Cloxacillin has an expiry date, beyond which it should not be consumed. Please refer to the pack or package insert for the expiry date.