Information about Clobetasone
Clobetasone is used in the treatment of skin disorders. These skin disorders include eczema, dermatitis, nappy rash or insect bites.
How clobetasone works
Clobetasone is a steroid which works by blocking the production of certain chemical messengers in the body that cause inflammation (redness and swelling) and allergies.
Common side effects of clobetasone
Application site reactions (burning, irritation, itching and redness)
Available Medicine for Clobetasone
- ₹75Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹64Apex Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹40Gary Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹28Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹70Praise Pharma1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Clobetasone
- Clobetasone is used to treat the redness, swelling, itching, and discomfort of various skin conditions.
- It should be applied to the affected areas as a thin film two or three times daily, or as advised by your doctor.
- Do not use it more often or for longer than advised by your doctor.
- Do not cover the area being treated with airtight dressings such as bandages unless directed by a doctor, as this may increase the risk of side effects.
- If you think the area of skin you are treating has become infected you should stop using Clobetasone and consult your doctor.
- Consult your doctor if your skin condition has not improved after 2 weeks of treatment.
Frequently asked questions for Clobetasone
Q. What is Clobetasone ointment used for?
Clobetasone is a corticosteroid that is applied on the skin for the treatment of various skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis. It can also be used to treat certain ophthalmologic conditions for the relief of the inflammation and itchiness of the skin. Topical Clobetasone butyrate has shown minimal suppression of the body immunity.
Q. Are clobetasol and Clobetasone different?
Yes, clobetasol and Clobetasone are different steroid medications. Clobetasol is a very potent (strong) steroid whereas Clobetasone is comparatively milder and has been categorized under moderately potent steroid.
Q. Does Clobetasone affect the body’s hormonal balance?
Clobetasone is a topical steroid and needs to be applied locally on the affected part. It is a moderately strong steroid. When applied on the skin, then the chances of immunity suppression is lesser as compared to other steroids like clobetasol and betamethasone. Do consult your physician before you start this medication.
Q. Can Clobetasone be used in children?
The use of Clobetasone is usually not recommended in children less than 12 years of age. It should only be used if advised by the doctor. Doctors often prescribe this medicine for the treatment of dermatoses (skin infections) in children. The duration of this therapy does not normally exceed 7 days. If on regular application, the condition worsens or does not improve within 7 days, the therapy should be reviewed.