Information about Clobazam
How clobazam works
Clobazam is a benzodiazepine. It works by increasing the action of a chemical messenger (GABA) which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of clobazam
Tiredness, Sleepiness, Slurred speech, Fever, Cough, Drooling, Constipation, Difficulty in urination, Aggressive behavior, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Breathing problems
Available Medicine for Clobazam
- ₹56 to ₹202Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹84 to ₹314Sanofi India Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹77 to ₹295Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹99Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹99Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹92Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹77 to ₹125Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹51 to ₹120Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹115Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹87La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Clobazam
- The addiction / habit-forming potential of this medicine is very high. Take it only as per the dose and duration advised by your doctor
- It may cause dizziness. Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol as it may increase dizziness and drowsiness.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you notice sores or blisters on your skin, lips, or inside your mouth.
- Do not stop taking medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as that may lead to nausea, anxiety, agitation, flu-like symptoms, sweating, tremor, and confusion.
Frequently asked questions for Clobazam
Q. Is Clobazam habit forming?
Yes, Clobazam can be habit forming if used for a long time. The risk of dependence increases with dose and duration of treatment; it is also greater in patients with a history of alcohol or drug abuse. Therefore, the duration of treatment is generally as short as possible.
Q. Can Clobazam make me sleepy?
Yes, Clobazam can make you sleepy. It usually begins within the first month of treatment and may diminish with continued treatment.
Q. How long does Clobazam take to work?
Clobazam is a fast-acting medicine, which means that it quickly gets absorbed from the bloodstream. Clobazam reaches its highest blood levels within half an hour to 4 hours after the dose is taken.
Q. Is Clobazam the same as clonazepam?
No, Clobazam and clonazepam are not the same medicines but belong to the same class of drugs known as benzodiazepines.
Q. How long does Clobazam withdrawal last?
Withdrawal syndrome may develop at any time up to 3 weeks after stopping Clobazam. Withdrawal signs may last anywhere from 4 weeks to a year or more.
Q. Can I stop taking Clobazam?
No, do not stop taking Clobazam even if you are feeling well, unless your doctor tells you to. Suddenly stopping Clobazam may cause unwanted effects known as withdrawal symptoms. To prevent this, the dose of clobazam needs to be reduced gradually before completely stopping it. Therefore, it is important that you consult your doctor first.
Q. What if more than the recommended dose of Clobazam is taken?
Taking more than the recommended doses of Clobazam can affect in different ways, and the patient should seek immediate medical help. In mild cases, it may cause symptoms such as drowsiness, mental confusion, and tiredness. Whereas, in more serious cases, the symptoms may include the complete loss of control of bodily movements, decreased muscle tone, low blood pressure, respiratory depression, coma in rare cases, and death in very rare cases.
Q. Can Clobazam tablets be crushed? Should I take Clobazam before or after meals?
Clobazam tablets can be taken whole, broken in half along the score, or crushed and mixed in applesauce. Clobazam can be taken with or without food.
Q. Can using Clobazam cause a decrease in the blood pressure?
Generally, the use of Clobazam does not cause a decrease in the blood pressure, but taking more than the recommended doses of Clobazam may cause a fall in the blood pressure
Q. Can Clobazam make me tired?
Clobazam may cause tiredness along with muscle weakness. In case you experience tiredness or if tiredness persists for a long time, then you should consult your doctor.
Q. Does Clobazam cause depression?
No, Clobazam dose not cause depression, but it can cause recurrence of pre-existing depression.