Information about Clindamycin
Clindamycin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used in infections of the skin such as acne (Pimples), abdomen, bone, skin, heart and soft tissues. It also used in post-operative infections.
How clindamycin works
Clindamycin is an antibiotic. It works by preventing synthesis of essential proteins required by bacteria to carry out vital functions. Thus, it stops the bacteria from growing, and prevents the infection from spreading.
Common side effects of clindamycin
Diarrhea, Abnormal liver function tests, Abdominal pain
Available Medicine for Clindamycin
- ₹60 to ₹250Bennet Pharmaceuticals Limited6 variant(s)
- ₹98 to ₹134USV Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹187 to ₹390Alkem Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹129 to ₹425Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹109 to ₹206Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹67 to ₹850Ipca Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹180Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹102 to ₹191United Biotech Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹72 to ₹147Mankind Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹76 to ₹82Systopic Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Clindamycin
- Your doctor has prescribed Clindamycin to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- Take it with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before you start treatment with this antibiotic.
- Stop taking Clindamycin and inform your doctor immediately if you develop an itchy rash, swelling of the face, throat or tongue or breathing difficulties while taking it.
Frequently asked questions for Clindamycin
Q. Can the use of Clindamycin cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Clindamycin can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If you are experiencing severe diarrhea, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. How long does Clindamycin takes to work?
Usually, Clindamycin starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Clindamycin?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Clindamycin when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Clindamycin and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.
Q. Is Clindamycin safe?
Clindamycin is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor