Information about Clarithromycin
How clarithromycin works
Clarithromycin is an antibiotic. It stops the bacterial growth by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, which are required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of clarithromycin
Vomiting, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea, Jaundice, Abnormal liver function tests, Blisters on skin, Altered taste, Shortness of breath, Flatulence, Headache, Heartburn, Hoarseness of voice, Yellow discoloration of skin, Yellow discoloration of eye, Chills, Fever.
Available Medicine for Clarithromycin
- ₹111 to ₹227Pfizer Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹93 to ₹176Mankind Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹876Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹120 to ₹212Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries4 variant(s)
- ₹126 to ₹481Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹109 to ₹193Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹267Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹145 to ₹244Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹192 to ₹500Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹148 to ₹470Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Clarithromycin
- Do not start or continue the clarithromycin tablets/suspension and consult your doctor, if you are allergic to clarithromycin or any macrolide antibiotic (ex. azithromycin,).
- Do not start or continue the clarithromycin tablets/suspension, if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Do not start or continue the clarithromycin tablets/suspension, if you develop severe or prolonged diarrhea during or after receiving clarithromycin.
- If clarithromycin tablets make you feel dizzy, do not drive, operate machinery or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Frequently asked questions for Clarithromycin
Q. Is clarithromycin a penicillin, antibiotic, or a fluoroquinolone?
Clarithromycin is a macrolide antibiotic, not a penicillin or fluoroquinolone
Q. Is clarithromycin safe?
Clarithromycin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take clarithromycin for bacterial vaginosis, tooth infection, bladder infection, acne and cystitis?
Clarithromycin can be used to treat bacterial vaginosis unless resistance has not been developed against clindamycin or any macrolide antibiotic (clarithromycin, azithromycin, etc.)
Q. Is clarithromycin gluten free or contain sulfa?
Clarithromycin is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use. Clarithromycin is not a sulfa drug/does not contain sulpha
Q. Can I take clarithromycin with amoxicillin, paracetamol, ibuprofen, omeprazole, metronidazole or Nyquil?
Yes clarithromycin can be taken with amoxicillin, paracetamol, ibuprofen, omeprazole, metronidazole or Nyquil. Always consult your physician before use
Q. Does clarithromycin cause drowsiness, insomnia, or thrush?
Clarithromycin does not cause drowsiness when taken as prescribed. But, it may cause insomnia (sleeplessness) and thrush (infection of mouth caused by candida fungus)
Q. Does clarithromycin affect birth control?
When taken with birth control pills, clarithromycin does not affect birth control.