Information about Clarithromycin
Clarithromycin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used in infections of tonsils, sinus, ear, nose, throat, skin and soft tissues and lungs (pneumonia).
How clarithromycin works
Clarithromycin is an antibiotic. It works by preventing synthesis of essential proteins required by bacteria to carry out vital functions. Thus, it stops the bacteria from growing, and prevents the infection from spreading.
Common side effects of clarithromycin
Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal pain, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Clarithromycin
- ₹136 to ₹541Abbott5 variant(s)
- ₹102 to ₹192Mankind Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹136 to ₹519Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹876Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹145 to ₹381Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries4 variant(s)
- ₹114 to ₹1039Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹136 to ₹274Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹109 to ₹1125Cipla Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹131 to ₹490Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹288Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
Expert advice for Clarithromycin
- Your doctor has prescribed Clarithromycin to cure your infection and improve your symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- Take it 1 hour before or two hours after food.
- Do not take antacids 2 hours before or after taking Clarithromycin.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Stop taking Clarithromycin and inform your doctor immediately if you develop an itchy rash, swelling of the face, throat or tongue or breathing difficulties while taking it.
Frequently asked questions for Clarithromycin
Q. Can the use of Clarithromycin cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Clarithromycin can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If you are experiencing severe diarrhea, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. How long does Clarithromycin takes to work?
Usually, Clarithromycin starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Clarithromycin?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can the use of Clarithromycin cause infertility?
There is no firm evidence to suggest that the use of Clarithromycin will cause infertility in males or females.
Q. Can I stop taking Clarithromycin when my symptoms are relieved?
No, do not stop taking Clarithromycin and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.