Information about Clarithromycin
Clarithromycin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used in infections of tonsils, sinus, ear, nose, throat, skin and soft tissues, windpipe and lungs (pneumonia).
How clarithromycin works
Clarithromycin is a macrolide antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, which are required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of clarithromycin
Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea, Allergy
Available Medicine for Clarithromycin
- ₹97 to ₹183Mankind Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹113 to ₹502Abbott5 variant(s)
- ₹131 to ₹502Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹132 to ₹221Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries3 variant(s)
- ₹109 to ₹1125Cipla Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹278Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹124 to ₹254Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹87 to ₹643Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹131 to ₹479Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹115 to ₹230Morepen Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
Expert advice for Clarithromycin
- Clarithromycin will cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- It may cause an upset stomach. If this happens to you, take it with food.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete.
- Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Do not take antacids 2 hours before or after taking Clarithromycin.
Frequently asked questions for Clarithromycin
Q. Is clarithromycin a penicillin, antibiotic, or a fluoroquinolone?
Clarithromycin is a macrolide antibiotic, not a penicillin or fluoroquinolone
Q. Is Clarithromycin safe?
Clarithromycin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take Clarithromycin for bacterial vaginosis, tooth infection, bladder infection, acne and cystitis?
Clarithromycin can be used to treat bacterial vaginosis unless resistance has not been developed against clindamycin or any macrolide antibiotic (Clarithromycin. azithromycin, etc.)
Q. Is Clarithromycin gluten free or contain sulfa?
Clarithromycin is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use. Clarithromycin is not a sulfa drug/does not contain sulpha
Q. Can I take clarithromycin with amoxicillin, paracetamol, ibuprofen, omeprazole, metronidazole or Nyquil?
Yes clarithromycin can be taken with amoxicillin, paracetamol, ibuprofen, omeprazole, metronidazole or Nyquil. Always consult your physician before use
Q. Does Clarithromycin cause drowsiness, insomnia, or thrush?
Clarithromycin does not cause drowsiness when taken as prescribed. But, it may cause insomnia (sleeplessness) and thrush (infection of mouth caused by candida fungus)
Q. Does Clarithromycin affect birth control?
When taken with birth control pills, Clarithromycin does not affect birth control.