Information about Citalopram
Citalopram is used in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorder, phobia, post traumatic stress disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
How citalopram works
Citalopram is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant. It works by increasing the levels of serotonin, a chemical messenger in the brain. This improves mood and physical symptoms in depression and relieves symptoms of panic and obsessive disorders.
Common side effects of citalopram
Sleep disorder, Fatigue, Nausea, Dry mouth, Increased sweating, Weakness
Available Medicine for Citalopram
- ₹96Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹56Pulse Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹131Linux Laboratories3 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹72Tas Med India Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹25 to ₹57Sigmund Promedica4 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹98Talent Healthcare3 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹115Crescent Therapeutics Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹118La Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹39Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹55Nusearch Organic1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Citalopram
- It can take 2-3 weeks for Citalopram to start working.
- Do not stop treatment suddenly as this may cause a stomach upset, flu-like withdrawal symptoms and sleep disturbance.
- If your doctor asks you to stop Citalopram, you should reduce the dose slowly over 4 weeks.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Citalopram, as it may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness.
- The addiction/dependence potential of Citalopram is very less.
- You may develop anxiety during initiation of therapy.
Frequently asked questions for Citalopram
Q. What Citalopram used for?
Citalopram is used in the treatment of depression and panic disorder
Q. Does Citalopram cause weight gain/ high blood pressure/ headaches?
Citalopram may cause certain side effects such as headaches, high blood pressure and rarely rapid weight gain
Q. Does Citalopram contain monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)?
Citalopram does not contain MAOI. However, Citalopram should not be taken if a MAOI inhibitor is taken in the past 14 days, as it may cause dangerous drug interaction.