Information about Citalopram
Citalopram is used in the treatment of depression.
How citalopram works
Citalopram is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant. It works by increasing the levels of serotonin, a chemical messenger in the brain. This improves mood and physical symptoms in depression and relieves symptoms of panic and obsessive disorders.
Common side effects of citalopram
Low sexual desire, Vomiting, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Anorgasmia (decreased orgasm), Nausea, Weight gain, Erectile dysfunction, Stomach upset, Restlessness
Available Medicine for Citalopram
- ₹46 to ₹128Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹118La Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹58Sigmund Promedica3 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹52Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹48Tripada Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹38Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹39Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹82Adcock Ingram Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹56Pulse Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹103Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Citalopram
- Citalopram effectively treats a variety of mental health conditions such as depression.
- It can take up to 8 to 12 weeks to see the medication's full effects on your mood.
- Take it with food to avoid stomach upset.
- It causes less drowsiness as compared to other antidepressant medications.
- Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how Citalopram affects you.
- Citalopram is when taken in combination with other drugs leads to Serotonin syndrome. Avoid serotonergic drugs like triptans, lithium, and tramadol.
- Talk to your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or develop suicidal thoughts.
- Inform your doctor if you experience decreased sex drive or difficulty having an orgasm.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Citalopram
Q. What Citalopram used for?
Citalopram is used in the treatment of depression and panic disorder
Q. Does Citalopram cause weight gain/ high blood pressure/ headaches?
Citalopram may cause certain side effects such as headaches, high blood pressure and rarely rapid weight gain
Q. Does Citalopram contain monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)?
Citalopram does not contain MAOI. However, Citalopram should not be taken if a MAOI inhibitor is taken in the past 14 days, as it may cause dangerous drug interaction.