Information about Cinacalcet
Cinacalcet is used in the treatment of high calcium levels in the blood and hyperparathyroidism.
How cinacalcet works
Cinacalcet works by lowering a chemical (parathyroid hormone), which makes calcium level go back to normal.
Common side effects of cinacalcet
Available Medicine for Cinacalcet
- ₹741 to ₹1199Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹704 to ₹1225Panacea Biotec Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1239Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹579 to ₹1726Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹599 to ₹1153Biocon2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cinacalcet
- Cinacalcet treats hyperparathyroidism and high calcium levels in the blood.
- It should be taken with or shortly after food.
- Cinacalcet may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Inform your doctor if you start or stop smoking during treatment with Cinacalcet.
- Your doctor may monitor your calcium levels regularly during treatment with Cinacalcet. Inform your doctor if you notice signs of low calcium levels such as numbness or tingling around the mouth or muscle aches.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of seizures, heart problems, or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Cinacalcet
Q. Can Cinacalcet be crushed?
No, Cinacalcet should not be crushed and should be taken as a whole tablet. It should be taken with food or shortly after a meal with a glass of water. The tablets are not to be chewed, crushed, or divided.
Q. When should Cinacalcet be taken?
Cinacalcet can be taken with any meal once daily. The tablet should be taken at a fixed time in order to prevent from forgetting to take the dose. It should be taken orally once daily after food. The dose and duration of therapy is decided by the doctor based on your response to the therapy and blood test parameters.
Q. Can Cinacalcet cause diarrhea?
Yes, Cinacalcet can cause diarrhea in patients during treatment. This medicine may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea as common side effects. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any such side effects.
Q. Can Cinacalcet cause numbness?
Yes, Cinacalcet may cause numbness. This is because Cinacalcet has been shown to reduce the blood calcium levels in the body. This effect may also result in tingling in your fingers, spasms, twitches or cramps in muscles. There can be twitches around your mouth, confusion or even loss of consciousness rarely.
Q. Does the Cinacalcet contains lactose?
Sometimes lactose is used while preparing Cinacalcet. Hence, before starting the medication inform your doctor if you have been diagnosed with any sugar intolerance like lactose intolerance.