How it works
Common side effects
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
- The Cimetidine can be taken with or without food.
- Cimetidine is very effective in controlling stomach acid release in the midnight, so it is better to take Cimetidine before going to bed.
- Take Cimetidine for the entire prescribed duration of the treatment, even if you begin to feel betterIf you are taking an antacid, take it 2 hours before or after the Cimetidine.
- Avoid drinking soft drinks, citrus products like orange and lemon, which irritate the stomach.
- Quit smoking or at least do not smoke after taking the medicine, as it tends to decrease the effect of Cimetidine by increasing the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking the Cimetidine, as it increases the blood alcohol level.
- Some laboratory tests may be affected by Cimetidine. Notify your doctor that you are taking this medicine before you have any tests for skin allergies or tests to determine how much acid your stomach produces.
- Patients with kidney disease may need to take a lower dose.
Frequently asked questions
Q.Is cimetidine an antacid/ an antihistamine/ proton pump inhibitor?
Cimetidine is anti-histamine and H2 receptor blocker that reduces excessive stomach acid secretion. It is not proton pump inhibitor
Q.Does cimetidine cause weight gain or hair loss?
Cimetidine can cause hair loss but its use has not shown to cause weight gain
Q.Does cimetidine work for molluscum?
There are reports of oral cimetidine being used effectively against molluscum in children. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug.