Information about Chloramphenicol
Chloramphenicol is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used to treat certain types of serious infections caused by bacteria when other antibiotics cannot be used.
How chloramphenicol works
Chloramphenicol is an antibiotic which stops the growth of bacteria. It does so by preventing synthesis of essential proteins required by bacteria to carry out vital functions. This does not directly kill the bacteria, but prevents them from increasing in numbers, and eventually clears up the infection.
Common side effects of chloramphenicol
Vomiting, Nausea, Diarrhea, Taste change
Available Medicine for Chloramphenicol
- ₹55 to ₹86Lark Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹31Klar Sehen Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹70Jawa Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹32Indoco Remedies Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹128Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹38Laborate Pharmaceuticals India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹31Juggat Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹58Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹24Entod Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57Leben Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Chloramphenicol
- Your doctor has prescribed Chloramphenicol to cure your infection and improve your symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- This can be taken either with or without food.
- Your doctor may get blood tests done to check your blood cells before starting treatment and regularly thereafter.
- Do not use Chloramphenicol if you are pregnant, planning to conceive, or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease.
Frequently asked questions for Chloramphenicol
Q. How long does Chloramphenicol takes to work?
Usually, Chloramphenicol starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Chloramphenicol?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Chloramphenicol when my symptoms are relieved?
No, do not stop taking Chloramphenicol and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.