Information about Cefprozil
Cefprozil is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used for short-term treatment of bacterial infections of urinary tract, skin and soft-tissue, ear, bone, blood, abdomen, genital and lungs (pneumonia). It is also used to prevent infections after surgery.
How cefprozil works
Cefprozil is an antibiotic. It works by preventing the formation of the bacterial protective covering which is essential for the survival of bacteria in the human body.
Common side effects of cefprozil
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Allergic reaction
Available Medicine for Cefprozil
- ₹121 to ₹505Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹284Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹290Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹600Maxamus International1 variant(s)
- ₹116 to ₹220Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefprozil
- Your doctor has prescribed Cefprozil to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Discontinue Cefprozil and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- If you're on blood thinners, Cefprozil can interact with your medications and increase your bleeding tendencies.
Frequently asked questions for Cefprozil
Q. Is cefprozil same as penicillin/ or related to penicillin or contain penicillin?
Beta-lactam group of antibiotics and cross sensitivity has been demonstrated
Q. Is Cefprozil a sulfa based drug?
No, Cefprozil is not a sulpha based drug
Q. Is cefprozil stronger than amoxicillin?
Such comparisons between antibiotics cannot be drawn as these medicines are used for different indications depending on the doctor's clinical experience
Q. Is Cefprozil used for strep throat, sinus infection, and bronchitis?
Yes, Cefprozil is prescribed for strep throat, sinus infection, and bronchitis
Q. Can I take tylenol (paracetamol), advil (ibuprofen), Nyquil (cold and flu medication), mucinex (guaifenesin), and benadryl with Cefprozil?
There are no known drug interaction of Cefprozil with tylenol (paracetamol), advil (ibuprofen), Nyquil (cold and flu medication), mucinex (guaifenesin) and benadryl
Q. Does Cefprozil treat urinary tract infections (UTI)?
No, Cefprozil is mainly indicated for respiratory tract infections caused by susceptible bacteria
Q. Does Cefprozil interfere with birth control?
No, there no known effects of Cefprozil on birth control
Q. Does Cefprozil make you tired?
Yes, Cefprozil may make you feel tired and sleepy.