Information about Cefpodoxime
Cefpodoxime is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How cefpodoxime works
Cefpodoxime is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by attacking their cell wall. Specifically, it prevents the synthesis of a substance in the cell wall called peptidoglycan, which provides the cell wall with the strength required for survival of bacteria in human body.
Common side effects of cefpodoxime
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Allergic reaction
Available Medicine for Cefpodoxime
- ₹70 to ₹138Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹60 to ₹139Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd9 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹120Mankind Pharma Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹60 to ₹142Alkem Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹143Indoco Remedies Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹135Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹135Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹120Hetero Drugs Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹73 to ₹144Lupin Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹74 to ₹149Micro Labs Ltd7 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefpodoxime
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your doctor even if you feel better.
- Never take an antibiotic for a viral infection like a cold or the flu.
- Can lead to nausea and diarrhoea frequently. If this becomes severe or persistent or you notice that your stool contains blood or mucus you should stop taking Cefpodoxime immediately and consult your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you develop a rash or other unexpected symptoms.
- Inform your doctor if there is the previous history of drug allergy.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Cefpodoxime
Q. Is Cefpodoxime an antibiotic?
Yes, Cefpodoxime is an antibiotic, it belongs to a group of antibiotics known as cephalosporins.
Q. Is Cefpodoxime a sulfa drug?
Cefpodoxime is not a sulfa drug, it belongs to a class of medicines known as cephalosporin antibiotics.
Q. Is Cefpodoxime safe to use?
Cefpodoxime is safe to use at the prescribed dose for prescribed duration as advised by the doctor. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.
Q. Is Cefpodoxime a steroid?
Cefpodoxime is not a steroid. It is an antibiotic which belongs to the class of medication known as cephalosporin.
Q. Is Cefpodoxime related to penicillin?
Cefpodoxime belongs to the group of medicines known as cephalosporins. Both Penicillins and cephalosporins belong to the group of beta-lactam antibiotics as they contain the beta-lactam ring.
Q. Is Cefpodoxime safe for humans?
Yes. Cefpodoxime is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by the doctor.
Q. Can I take Cefpodoxime with ibuprofen?
Cefpodoxime can be taken with ibuprofen. No drug-drug interactions have been reported between the two. However, this does not mean that interactions cannot occur. Please consult your doctor before taking the two medicines together.
Q. Does Cefpodoxime treat chlamydia?
Cefpodoxime has not shown any activity against chlamydia. Please consult your doctor for the treatment of chlamydial infection.
Q. Does Cefpodoxime cover pseudomonas?
Cefpodoxime has not been reported to be active against pseudomonas. Please consult your doctor for the treatment of any pseudomonal infection.
Q. Does cefuroxime have penicillin?
No, cefuroxime does not contain penicillin.
Q. Does Cefpodoxime cover methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)?
Cefpodoxime is not active against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), rather there has been reported an inherent resistance against this bacteria.
Q. Does Cefpodoxime cover enterococcus?
Cefpodoxime has not been reported to be active against enterococcus.