Cefixime + Clavulanic Acid
Information about Cefixime + Clavulanic Acid
Cefixime + clavulanic acid uses
Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How cefixime + clavulanic acid works
This is a combination of two medicines: Cefixime and Clavulanic Acid. Cefixime is an antibiotic. It works by preventing the formation of the bacterial protective covering which is essential for the survival of bacteria. Clavulanic Acid is a beta-lactamase inhibitor which reduces resistance and enhances the activity of Cefixime against bacteria.
Common side effects of cefixime + clavulanic acid
Nausea, Diarrhea, Stomach pain, Indigestion, Flatulence
Available Medicine for Cefixime + Clavulanic Acid
- ₹72 to ₹230FDC Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹135Mankind Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹97 to ₹351Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹230Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹295Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹117 to ₹243Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹72 to ₹220Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹65 to ₹192Hetero Drugs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹84 to ₹123Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹87 to ₹295Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefixime + Clavulanic Acid
- You have been prescribed this combination medicine to treat bacterial infections even if they have developed resistance.
- Finish the prescribed course, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection come back and harder to treat.
- Take it with food and plenty of fluids to avoid an upset stomach.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect. Taking probiotics along with Cefixime + Clavulanic Acid may help. Talk to your doctor if you notice bloody stools or develop abdominal cramps.
- Stop taking Cefixime + Clavulanic Acid and inform your doctor immediately if you develop an itchy rash, swelling of the face, throat or tongue or breathing difficulties while taking it.
Frequently asked questions for Cefixime + Clavulanic Acid
Cefixime + Clavulanic Acid
Q. How to take Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid?
Take this medication by mouth, with or without food as directed by your doctor, usually once a day. If you are consuming chewable tablets, chew thoroughly and then swallow. Complete the full course of this medicine, even if symptoms disappear after a few days.
Q. Is the use of Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid contraindicated in patients with impaired renal function?
Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid should be used with particular care in patients with severely impaired renal function. Dose modification is advised for patients with moderate or severe renal impairment.
Q. What are the precautions that need to be taken while taking Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid?
The dose of Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid should be adjusted in patients with impairment of kidneys and for those who have gastrointestinal disease or colitis.
Q. What are the serious side effects associated with the use of Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid?
The use of Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid can also lead to serious side effects like severe stomach/abdominal pain, persistent nausea/vomiting, unusual tiredness, new signs of infection (e.g., persistent sore throat, fever), yellowing of eyes/skin, dark urine, easy bruising/bleeding, signs of kidney problems (such as change in the amount of urine) and mental/mood changes (such as confusion).
Q. What all should I tell my doctor before starting the course of this medicine?
Please inform your doctor if you are pregnant or trying for a baby or breastfeeding before you start taking this medicine. Let your doctor know if you are using any other medicine.
Q. Can the use of Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If you are experiencing severe diarrhea, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. How long does Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid takes to work?
Usually, Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.
Q. What are the instructions for storage and disposal of Cefixime+Clavulanic Acid?
Keep this medicine in the container or the pack it came in, tightly closed. Store it according to the instructions mentioned on the pack or label. Dispose of the unused medicine. Make sure it is not consumed by pets, children and other people.