Information about Cefixime
Cefixime is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How cefixime works
Cefixime is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from forming the bacterial protective covering (cell wall) which is needed for them to survive.
Common side effects of cefixime
Nausea, Diarrhea, Vomiting, Stomach pain, Indigestion
Available Medicine for Cefixime
- ₹45 to ₹242Alkem Laboratories Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹40 to ₹224FDC Ltd10 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹82Mankind Pharma Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹106Cipla Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹47 to ₹97Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹186Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹58 to ₹244Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹44 to ₹152Cipla Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹47 to ₹88Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹109Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefixime
- Your doctor has prescribed Cefixime to cure your infection and improve your symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- Take it with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Avoid consuming alcohol while taking Cefixime as it may cause increased side effects.
- Discontinue Cefixime and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Cefixime
Q. Can I stop taking Cefixime when my symptoms are relieved?
No, do not stop taking Cefixime and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.
Q. Can the use of Cefixime cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Cefixime can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If diarrhea persists, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. Is Cefixime used in typhoid?
Indian Association of Pediatrics (IAP) recommends the use of Cefixime in children for uncomplicated typhoid fever.
Q. How long does Cefixime takes to work?
Usually, Cefixime starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Cefixime?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.