Information about Cefixime
Cefixime is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How cefixime works
Cefixime is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by preventing them from forming the bacterial protective covering (cell wall) which is needed for them to survive.
Common side effects of cefixime
Nausea, Diarrhea, Stomach pain, Indigestion
Available Medicine for Cefixime
- ₹47 to ₹242Alkem Laboratories Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹40 to ₹224FDC Ltd13 variant(s)
- ₹47 to ₹106Cipla Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹47 to ₹97Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- 4 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹186Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹58 to ₹244Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹44 to ₹152Cipla Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹88Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹109Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefixime
- Your doctor has prescribed Cefixime to cure your infection and improve your symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection harder to treat.
- Take it with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it does not stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Avoid consuming alcohol while taking Cefixime as it may cause increased side effects.
- Discontinue Cefixime and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Cefixime
Q. Can I stop taking Cefixime when my symptoms are relieved or when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Cefixime before completing the full course of treatment. You may start feeling better before the infection is completely cured. But, it is important to take this medicine for the full duration advised by the doctor.
Q. Can the use of Cefixime cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Cefixime can cause diarrhea. Cefixime is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If diarrhea persists, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. How long does Cefixime takes to work?
Usually, Cefixime starts working soon after you take it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and relieve your symptoms completely.
Q. What if I do not get better after using Cefixime?
Inform your doctor if you do not feel better even after finishing the full course of treatment. You must also inform your doctor if the symptoms get worse while using this medicine.