Information about Cefepime
Cefepime is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How cefepime works
Cefepime is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by attacking their cell wall. Specifically, it prevents the synthesis of a substance in the cell wall called peptidoglycan, which provides the required strength to the bacterial cell wall for the survival of the bacteria in the human body.
Common side effects of cefepime
Nausea, Headache, Rash, Vomiting, Fever, Itching, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Cefepime
- ₹73 to ₹226Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹216Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹76 to ₹247Zuventus Healthcare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹108 to ₹182Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹62 to ₹152Mapra Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹95 to ₹179Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹209Biocon1 variant(s)
- ₹180 to ₹242Vhb Life Sciences Inc2 variant(s)
- ₹188United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹132 to ₹283Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefepime
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your doctor even if you feel better.
- Never take an antibiotic for a viral infection like a cold or the flu.
- Can lead to nausea and diarrhoea frequently. If this becomes severe or persistent or you notice that your stool contains blood or mucus you should stop taking Cefepime immediately and consult your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you develop a rash or other unexpected symptoms.
- Inform your doctor if there is the previous history of drug allergy.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Cefepime
Q. Is cefepime beta lactam, penicillin, or sulfa drug?
Cefepime does not contain sulfa and is not a penicillin drug. It is a beta lactam cephalosporin antibiotic
Q. Is Cefepime broad spectrum bacteriostatic or bactericidal?
Cefepime is a broad spectrum bactericidal antibiotic
Q. Is cefepime compatible with lactated ringer's, normal saline, or vancomycin?
Cefepime is compatible with lactated ringer's or normal saline. Solutions of cefepime should not be added to vancomycin. However, if concurrent therapy with cefepime is indicated, vancomycin can be administered separately. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Is Cefepime a vesicant?
No, Cefepime is not a vesicant drug
Q. What organisms does Cefepime cover?
Cefepime is mainly effective against methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus (mssa), gram-negative bacteria, klebsiella, Group B streptococci but not effective against enterococcus, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (mrsa), or anaerobes such as mycoplasma.