Information about Cefepime
Cefepime is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used for short-term treatment of bacterial infections of urinary tract, skin and soft-tissue, blood, abdomen, genital and lungs (pneumonia). It is also used to prevent infections after surgery.
How cefepime works
Cefepime is an antibiotic. It works by preventing the formation of the bacterial protective covering which is essential for the survival of bacteria in the human body.
Common side effects of cefepime
Rash, Itching, Nausea, Vomiting, Headache, Fever, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Cefepime
- ₹79 to ₹247Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹78 to ₹237Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹76 to ₹247Zuventus Healthcare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹119 to ₹218Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹81 to ₹241Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹95 to ₹205Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹74 to ₹152Mapra Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹252Biocon1 variant(s)
- ₹180 to ₹242Vhb Life Sciences Inc2 variant(s)
- ₹197United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefepime
- Your doctor has prescribed Cefepime to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Discontinue Cefepime and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- If you're on blood thinners, Cefepime can interact with your medications and increase your bleeding tendencies.
Frequently asked questions for Cefepime
Q. Is cefepime beta lactam, penicillin, or sulfa drug?
Cefepime does not contain sulfa and is not a penicillin drug. It is a beta lactam cephalosporin antibiotic
Q. Is Cefepime broad spectrum bacteriostatic or bactericidal?
Cefepime is a broad spectrum bactericidal antibiotic
Q. Is cefepime compatible with lactated ringer's, normal saline, or vancomycin?
Cefepime is compatible with lactated ringer's or normal saline. Solutions of cefepime should not be added to vancomycin. However, if concurrent therapy with cefepime is indicated, vancomycin can be administered separately. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Is Cefepime a vesicant?
No, Cefepime is not a vesicant drug
Q. What organisms does Cefepime cover?
Cefepime is mainly effective against methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus (mssa), gram-negative bacteria, klebsiella, Group B streptococci but not effective against enterococcus, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (mrsa), or anaerobes such as mycoplasma.