Information about Cefdinir
Cefdinir is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used for short-term treatment of bacterial infections of urinary tract, skin and soft-tissue, ear, bone, blood, abdomen, genital and lungs (pneumonia). It is also used to prevent infections after surgery.
How cefdinir works
Cefdinir is an antibiotic. It works by preventing the formation of the bacterial protective covering which is essential for the survival of bacteria in the human body.
Common side effects of cefdinir
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Allergic reaction
Available Medicine for Cefdinir
- ₹126 to ₹313Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹73 to ₹117Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹108 to ₹427Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹70 to ₹122Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹89Treatwell Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹140Invision Medi Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹116Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹100 to ₹184Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹171Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹66 to ₹82Parenteral Drugs India Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefdinir
- Your doctor has prescribed Cefdinir to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Discontinue Cefdinir and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- If you're on blood thinners, Cefdinir can interact with your medications and increase your bleeding tendencies.
Frequently asked questions for Cefdinir
Q. Is cefdinir a penicillin or sulfa drug?
No, cefdinir is not a penicillin or sulfa drug. It is a cephalosporin antibiotic
Q. Does Cefdinir affect birth control?
Cefdinir can reduce effectiveness of birth control pills. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Does Cefdinir cause constipation, red stool, or diarrhea?
Cefdinir may cause diarrhea or red stool but it is not known to cause constipation
Q. Can I take cefdinir with Allegra (fexofenadine hydrochloride), Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Mucinex (guaifenesin), Nyquil (acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, doxylamine, and pseudoephedrine), Sudafed (dextromethorphan and phenylephrine), Tylenol (acetaminophen), hydrocodone, or ibuprofen?
Cefdinir is not reported to interact with Allegra, Benadryl, Nyquil, Sudafed, Tylenol, hydrocodone, or ibuprofen. Please follow the advice of the doctor regarding their simultaneous use
Q. Does Cefdinir treat strep or sore throat, urinary tract infection (UTI), bladder infection, or tooth infection?
Yes, you can take Cefdinir in strep or sore throat; UTI, or bladder infection. Please consult your doctor for your medical condition before taking the drug
Q. Is Cefdinir gluten free?
Yes. Cefdinir is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use
Q. Is Cefdinir generic?
Yes, Cefdinir is available as generic drug
Q. Does Cefdinir liquid need to be refrigerated?
Cefdinir needs to be stored at 15° to 30°C. It should not be frozen
Q. Is Cefdinir safe?
Cefdinir is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.