Information about Cefazolin
Cefazolin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used for short-term treatment of bacterial infections of urinary tract, skin and soft-tissue, blood, abdomen, genital and lungs (pneumonia). It is also used to prevent infections after surgery.
How cefazolin works
Cefazolin is an antibiotic. It works by preventing the formation of the bacterial protective covering which is essential for the survival of bacteria in the human body.
Common side effects of cefazolin
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Allergic reaction
Available Medicine for Cefazolin
- ₹13 to ₹24Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹148Shrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹51Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹17 to ₹55Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹26Osper Formulations Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹22Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹20Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹22Nootan Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefazolin
- Your doctor has prescribed Cefazolin to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Discontinue Cefazolin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- If you're on blood thinners, Cefazolin can interact with your medications and increase your bleeding tendencies.
Frequently asked questions for Cefazolin
Q. Is Cefazolin safe?
Cefazolin is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is cefazolin a sulfa, penicillin, cephalosporin, or beta lactam drug?
Cefazolin does not contain sulfa and is not a penicillin drug. It is a beta lactam cephalosporin antibiotic
Q. Is Cefazolin Keflex?
No, Keflex is a brand name for cephalexin
Q. Is cefazolin compatible with lactated ringer's, normal saline, Nacl, or potassium?
Cefazolin is compatible with normal saline, NaCl or potassium solution. It is not commonly used with lactated ringer's
Q. Can I take Ancef with a penicillin or sulfa allergy?
Ancef (brand name for cefazolin injection) cannot be given with a penicillin allergy. Precaution should be taken even when there is history of sulfa drugs
Q. Does Cefazolin cover enterococcus, pseudomonas, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)?
Cefazolin is effective against some strains of enterococcus bacteria but not effective against pseudomonas or MRSA
Q. Is Cefazolin a vesicant?
No, Cefazolin is not a vesicant (irritant) drug
Q. Does Cefazolin need to be refrigerated?
Cefazolin needs to be stored at 20° to 25°C. It should not be frozen.