Information about Cefazolin
Cefazolin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How cefazolin works
Cefazolin is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by attacking their cell wall. Specifically, it prevents the synthesis of a substance in the cell wall called peptidoglycan, which provides the cell wall with the strength required for survival of bacteria in human body.
Common side effects of cefazolin
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Allergic reaction.
Available Medicine for Cefazolin
- ₹15 to ₹24Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹148Shrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹22Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹20Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefazolin
- Do not start or continue cefazolin and consult your doctor if you have severe allergic reaction, inflammation of large intestine (colitis), blood clotting problem, liver or kidney disease.
- Caution should be taken when giving cefazolin to the children younger than 1 month old or to patients with diabetes as it may affect the results for urine glucose tests.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Cefazolin
Q. Is cefazolin safe?
Cefazolin is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is cefazolin a sulfa, penicillin, cephalosporin, or beta lactam drug?
Cefazolin does not contain sulfa and is not a penicillin drug. It is a beta lactam cephalosporin antibiotic
Q. Is cefazolin Keflex?
No, Keflex is a brand name for cephalexin
Q. Is cefazolin compatible with lactated ringer's, normal saline, Nacl, or potassium?
Cefazolin is compatible with normal saline, NaCl or potassium solution. It is not commonly used with lactated ringer's
Q. Can I take Ancef with a penicillin or sulfa allergy?
Ancef (brand name for cefazolin injection) cannot be given with a penicillin allergy. Precaution should be taken even when there is history of sulfa drugs
Q. Does cefazolin cover enterococcus, pseudomonas, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)?
Cefazolin is effective against some strains of enterococcus bacteria but not effective against pseudomonas or MRSA
Q. Is cefazolin a vesicant?
No, cefazolin is not a vesicant (irritant) drug
Q. Does cefazolin need to be refrigerated?
Cefazolin needs to be stored at 20° to 25°C. It should not be frozen.