Information about Cefalexin
Cefalexin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used to treat common mild to moderate bacterial infection.
How cefalexin works
Cefalexin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from forming the bacterial protective covering (cell wall) which is needed for them to survive.
Common side effects of cefalexin
Rash, Vomiting, Allergic reaction, Stomach pain, Nausea, Indigestion, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Cefalexin
- ₹38 to ₹315Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd15 variant(s)
- ₹70 to ₹321Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd10 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹203Lupin Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹132Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹129Alkem Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹273RPG Life Sciences Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹180Cipla Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹144Eli Lilly and Company India Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹45Abbott5 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹120Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefalexin
- Your doctor has prescribed Cefalexin to cure your infection and improve your symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- Discontinue Cefalexin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Avoid consuming alcohol while taking Cefalexin as it may cause increased side effects.
Frequently asked questions for Cefalexin
Q. Can the use of Cefalexin cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Cefalexin can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If diarrhea persists, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. Is cephalexin safe?
Cephalexin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. What if Cefalexin doesn't work?
Talk to your doctor if Cefalexin doesn't seem to work for you. Your doctor may increase the dose of Cefalexin or switch you to an alternate option, which may work for you.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Cefalexin?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Cefalexin when my symptoms are relieved?
No, do not stop taking Cefalexin and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.