Information about Cefalexin
Cefalexin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used for short-term treatment of bacterial infections of urinary tract, skin and soft-tissue, blood, abdomen, genital and lungs (pneumonia). It is also used to prevent infections after surgery.
How cefalexin works
Cefalexin is an antibiotic. It works by preventing the formation of the bacterial protective covering which is essential for the survival of bacteria in the human body.
Common side effects of cefalexin
Rash, Vomiting, Allergic reaction, Stomach pain, Nausea, Indigestion, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Cefalexin
- ₹34 to ₹148Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd13 variant(s)
- ₹64 to ₹163Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹185Lupin Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹168Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹167Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹120Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹273RPG Life Sciences Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹129Alkem Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹180Cipla Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹120Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefalexin
- Your doctor has prescribed Cefalexin to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Discontinue Cefalexin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- If you're on blood thinners, Cefalexin can interact with your medications and increase your bleeding tendencies.
Frequently asked questions for Cefalexin
Q. Does cephalexin contain sulfa or penicillin?
Cephalexin does not contain sulfa and is not penicillin. It is a cephalosporin antibiotic
Q. Is cephalexin the same as Keflex, Sporanox, or amoxicillin?
Keflex is a brand name for cephalexin, but Sporanox and amoxicillin are other drugs
Q. Is cephalexin safe?
Cephalexin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take cephalexin with Nyquil (acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, doxylamine, and pseudoephedrine), Tylenol (paracetamol), Dayquil (Phenylephrine, acetaminophen, dextromethorphan), Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate), or Advil (ibuprofen)?
Yes, you may take cephalexin with Nyquil, Tylenol, Dayquil, Benadryl, Tamiflu, or Advil. Please consult your doctor before use
Q. Can I take cephalexin with citalopram, or vitamins?
Yes, you can take cephalexin with citalopram, or vitamins
Q. Can I take cephalexin for a cold?
Cephalexin treats infections caused by bacteria. It does not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu
Q. Does cephalexin treat sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), staph infections or bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
Cephalexin is not approved to treat STDs and is not active against MRSA. It may be used against staph infections, but is not very effective against bacterial vaginosis.