Information about Cefalexin
Cefalexin is used in the treatment of Bacterial infections.
How cefalexin works
Cefalexin is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by attacking their cell wall. Specifically, it prevents the synthesis of a substance in the cell wall called peptidoglycan, which provides the cell wall with the strength required for survival of bacteria in human body.
Common side effects of cefalexin
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Allergic reaction
Available Medicine for Cefalexin
- ₹34 to ₹148Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd13 variant(s)
- ₹64 to ₹148Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹167 to ₹291Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹168 to ₹292Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹180Lupin Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹110Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹44Alkem Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹132Cipla Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹120Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries3 variant(s)
- ₹35 to ₹100Apex Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefalexin
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your doctor even if you feel better.
- Never take an antibiotic for a viral infection like a cold or the flu.
- Can lead to nausea and diarrhoea frequently. If this becomes severe or persistent or you notice that your stool contains blood or mucus you should stop taking Cefalexin immediately and consult your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you develop a rash or other unexpected symptoms.
- Inform your doctor if there is the previous history of drug allergy.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Cefalexin
Q. Does cephalexin contain sulfa or penicillin?
Cephalexin does not contain sulfa and is not penicillin. It is a cephalosporin antibiotic
Q. Is cephalexin the same as Keflex, Sporanox, or amoxicillin?
Keflex is a brand name for cephalexin, but Sporanox and amoxicillin are other drugs
Q. Is cephalexin safe?
Cephalexin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take cephalexin with Nyquil (acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, doxylamine, and pseudoephedrine), Tylenol (paracetamol), Dayquil (Phenylephrine, acetaminophen, dextromethorphan), Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate), or Advil (ibuprofen)?
Yes, you may take cephalexin with Nyquil, Tylenol, Dayquil, Benadryl, Tamiflu, or Advil. Please consult your doctor before use
Q. Can I take cephalexin with citalopram, or vitamins?
Yes, you can take cephalexin with citalopram, or vitamins
Q. Can I take cephalexin for a cold?
Cephalexin treats infections caused by bacteria. It does not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu
Q. Does cephalexin treat sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), staph infections or bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
Cephalexin is not approved to treat STDs and is not active against MRSA. It may be used against staph infections, but is not very effective against bacterial vaginosis.