Information about Carbidopa
Carbidopa is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
How Carbidopa works
Carbidopa is always given with levodopa. It works by preventing levodopa from being broken down before it reaches the brain. This allows for a lower dose of levodopa, which causes less nausea and vomiting.
Common side effects of Carbidopa
Nausea, Neuroleptic malignant syndrome, Panic attacks, Behavioural changes, Mood changes, Altered sleep, Burning sensation of tongue, Confusion, Convulsion, Dizziness, Drowsiness, Fever, Frequent dreams, Hallucination, Increased sweating, Slow heart rate, Arrhythmia (irregular heartbeats), Tremor, Vomiting, Worsening of tremor, Muscle stiffness
Available Medicine for Carbidopa
Expert advice for Carbidopa
- Take carbidopa with food along with levodopa.
- Do not take iron salts (eg. ferrous sulfate), within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking carbidopa.
- If you have been taking levodopa alone, do not start taking carbidopa until at least 12 hours after your final dose of levodopa.
- Do not use carbidopa if you are allergic to carbidopa or any other ingredient.
- Do not use carbidopa if you have narrow-angle glaucoma.
- Avoid using carbidopa in pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breast-feeding.
- Do not take carbidopa, if you have undiagnosed skin growths, skin cancer, or a history of skin cancer; heart problems; ulcers; seizures ; blood pressure problems; asthma or lung problems; liver or kidney problems; blood or hormone problems.
- Avoid taking carbidopa if you suffer from mental or mood problems, or suicidal thoughts or attempts.
- Take precaution if you have a diet that is high in protein as it may decrease your body's ability to absorb carbidopa.
- Take precaution if you are undergoing any tests for urine glucose or urine ketones, carbidopa may cause the results of some tests to be wrong.
- Consult your doctor if you have increased sexual urges, unusual urges to gamble, or other intense urges while taking this medicine.
- In some cases after using carbidopa sweat, urine, or saliva appears dark in color, such as red, brown, or black. It is not a harmful side effect, but it may cause staining of clothes or bed sheets.
- Carbidopa may cause drowsiness, dizziness, light-headedness or sudden sleep. Do not drive or use machinery while using it.
- Do not take alcohol along with carbidopa.