Information about Capecitabine
Capecitabine is used in the treatment of ovarian cancer, head and neck cancer, cervical cancer, Testicular cancer., breast cancer, non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), blood cancer, lung cancer, bone cancer and urinary bladder cancer.
How capecitabine works
Capecitabine interferes with the growth of DNA and RNA of the cancer cells by substituting their building blocks. It prevents the cancer cells from growing and multiplying.
Common side effects of capecitabine
Nausea, Vomiting, Weakness, Abdominal pain, Loss of appetite, Fatigue, Diarrhoea, Hand-foot syndrome, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth)
Available Medicine for Capecitabine
- ₹1668Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹1800Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1037Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹1447Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3002Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1419Zuventus Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2142Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1542Fresenius Kabi India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹600Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1339Roche Products India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Capecitabine
- Capecitabine should be taken with water within half an hour of taking a meal.
- Inform your doctor if you are suffering from high or low levels of calcium, cardiac toxicity problems or hand and foot syndrome.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of diabetes, nervous system disorders or are taking medication for blood thinning.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking any medications for gout (allopurinol), fits (phenytoin), or cancer (folinic acid, oxaliplatin, bevacizumab).
- Capecitabine may cause dizziness or nausea and so it is recommended not to drive or use heavy machinery immediately after taking it.
- Treatment with capecitabine need to be permanently discontinued in patients who experience a severe skin reaction.
- Women who are planning to become pregnant should use two methods of contraception while on this therapy and thereafter as recommended by the doctor.
- Men who are going to use this therapy should not father a child while on this therapy and thereafter as recommended by the doctor. They should also seek guidance and counselling on sperm conservation before taking this therapy.
Frequently asked questions for Capecitabine
Q. Is Capecitabine a generic/ effective/ FDA approved?
Yes, Capecitabine is a generic. It is approved by the FDA. It is effective when taken for a condition at a dose for the duration prescribed by the doctor
Q. Is Capecitabine an anthracycline?
No, Capecitabine is not an anthracycline
Q. Is Capecitabine cytotoxic?
No. Capecitabine is a cytostatic (stops the growth of cells) agent
Q. How is it administered?
It is administered as a tablet
Q. Where is Capecitabine absorbed?
Capecitabine is quickly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract
Q. How is it metabolized?
It is metabolized in the liver and tumor tissue
Q. How quickly does Capecitabine work?
Capecitabine works based on intensity and severity of cancer. Please ask the doctor how quickly it will work
Q. How long does it stay in the system?
Capecitabine and its metabolites stay in the system about two hours on an average
Q. Does Capecitabine cause hair loss/ tiredness/ diarrhea or affect skin?
Capecitabine is known to have side effects like hair loss/ tiredness/ diarrhea and affects skin. Please inform the doctor about any side effects that you observe while on therapy.