Information about Capecitabine
How Capecitabine works
Capecitabine is an anticancer medication. Inside the body, this medicine gets converted into 5-fluorouracil (chemical). This chemical hampers the synthesis of genetic materials (RNA and DNA) in the cancer cells, thereby interferes with their growth. This slows down the growth of cancer cells and eventually kills them.
Common side effects of Capecitabine
Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal pain, Diarrhea, Increased bilirubin in the blood, Fatigue, Dehydration, Eye irritation, Hair loss, Fever, Weight loss, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth), Constipation, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Anemia (low number of red blood cells), Hand-foot syndrome, Edema (swelling), Pain, Decreased appetite, Decreased white blood cell count (neutrophils), Low blood platelets, Breathlessness
Available Medicine for Capecitabine
CapsyIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
CapnatNatco Pharma Ltd
CapeteroHetero Drugs Ltd
XelodaRoche Products India Pvt Ltd
CitabinUnited Biotech Pvt Ltd
CapezamZuventus Healthcare Ltd
Capeta NovaAlkem Laboratories Ltd
Expert advice for Capecitabine
- Capecitabine is used alone or in combination with other medicines for the treatment of colon, rectum or breast cancers.
- It is oral chemotherapy, hence it is preferred by many patients.
- It should be taken within 30 minutes after eating a meal.
- The dose and the number of treatment cycles needed will depend on the type and stage of cancer that is being treated.
- It may cause dizziness and tiredness. Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Use a reliable contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy while you are taking this medicine.
- Frequency of hair loss is much less compared to other chemotherapy drugs.
- Do not take it if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Your doctor may regularly monitor your blood cells during treatment with this medicine. Inform your doctor immediately if you notice signs of infection such as fever, sore throat, rash or severe diarrhea.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you notice any signs of infection such as fever, sore throat, rash or severe diarrhea.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you start to have side effects such as diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, mouth sores, chest pain or loss of appetite.