Information about Capecitabine
How capecitabine works
Capecitabine is an anticancer medication. It works by interfering with the growth of genetic material (DNA and RNA) of the cancer cells. This slows the growth of cancer cells and eventually kills them.
Common side effects of capecitabine
Nausea, Vomiting, Weakness, Abdominal pain, Diarrhea, Increased bilirubin in the blood, Blisters on fingers / feet
Available Medicine for Capecitabine
- ₹1593Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹1520Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1089Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹1800Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1284Hetero Drugs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹912 to ₹3062Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1328Roche Products India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1284United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹675Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1419Zuventus Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Capecitabine
- Capecitabine is used alone or in combination with other medicines for the treatment of colon, rectum or breast cancers.
- It is oral chemotherapy, hence it is preferred by many patients.
- It should be taken within 30 minutes after eating a meal.
- The dose and the number of treatment cycles needed will depend on the type and stage of cancer that is being treated.
- It may cause dizziness and tiredness. Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Use a reliable contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy while you are taking this medicine.
- Frequency of hair loss is much less compared to other chemotherapy drugs.
- Do not take it if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Your doctor may regularly monitor your blood cells during treatment with this medicine. Inform your doctor immediately if you notice signs of infection such as fever, sore throat, rash or severe diarrhea.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you notice any signs of infection such as fever, sore throat, rash or severe diarrhea.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you start to have side effects such as diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, mouth sores, chest pain or loss of appetite.
Frequently asked questions for Capecitabine
Q. Is Capecitabine a generic/ effective/ FDA approved?
Yes, Capecitabine is a generic. It is approved by the FDA. It is effective when taken for a condition at a dose for the duration prescribed by the doctor
Q. Is Capecitabine an anthracycline?
No, Capecitabine is not an anthracycline
Q. Is Capecitabine cytotoxic?
No. Capecitabine is a cytostatic (stops the growth of cells) agent
Q. How is it administered?
It is administered as a tablet
Q. Where is Capecitabine absorbed?
Capecitabine is quickly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract
Q. How is it metabolized?
It is metabolized in the liver and tumor tissue
Q. How quickly does Capecitabine work?
Capecitabine works based on intensity and severity of cancer. Please ask the doctor how quickly it will work
Q. How long does it stay in the system?
Capecitabine and its metabolites stay in the system about two hours on an average
Q. Does Capecitabine cause hair loss/ tiredness/ diarrhea or affect skin?
Capecitabine is known to have side effects like hair loss/ tiredness/ diarrhea and affects skin. Please inform the doctor about any side effects that you observe while on therapy.