Information about Buspirone
Buspirone is used in the treatment of anxiety disorder.
How buspirone works
Buspirone works by modulating the action of serotonin, a chemical messenger of the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
Common side effects of buspirone
Nausea, Headache, Vomiting, Dryness in mouth, Sleepiness, Dizziness, Constipation, Diarrhea, Abdominal pain
Available Medicine for Buspirone
- ₹29 to ₹43Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹31Tripada Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹18Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹41Wockhardt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹14Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹40Psycormedies2 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹16Kramer Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Buspirone
- Take it at the same time every day to help you remember to take it.
- It may take 2-4 weeks to achieve efficacy.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Buspirone can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol while taking this medicine as it may cause excessive drowsiness.
- Do not stop taking medicine without talking to your doctor first.
Frequently asked questions for Buspirone
Q. Is buspirone a benzo/ a selective serotonin receptor inhibitor (SSRI)/a Xanax/ like Xanax/a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI)/a beta blocker/ contain MAOI?
Buspirone is an antianxiety agent and is not chemically or pharmacologically related to the benzodiazepines. It is not Xanax (also known as alprazolam), but has similar actions. It is not a MAOI, beta blocker or SSRI
Q. Does buspirone work/ work for anxiety/ help you sleep/ help depression?
Buspirone is used in the management of anxiety disorders. It does not help in depression. It may possibly help with sleep. It works if taken at recommended dosage and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is buspirone fast acting/ does buspirone work right away/ can I take buspar forever/ how long can i take buspirone for?
Buspirone (brand name: Buspar) is not fast acting but can take many weeks to reach full effect. Buspirone like any other medications should be taken for a time period as prescribed by your doctor
Q. Is buspirone safe/ addictive/ weight gain/ constipation/ hair loss/ make you tired?
Buspirone is safe if taken at recommended dosage and duration as advised by your doctor. It can cause certain side effects such as constipation and fatigue (feeling tired). It is not addictive but can cause withdrawal symptoms, if stopped suddenly. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. Can i take buspirone with Xanax/ sertraline/ Benadryl/clonazepam/ Zoloft/ Cymbalta/ Prozac/ Effexor/ escitalopram?
Using buspirone together with Zoloft (sertraline), Lexapro (escitalopram), Prozac (fluoxetine), Cymbalta (duloxetine) can cause major drug interaction and increase the risk of rare but serious conditions. Buspirone interacts moderately with Benadryl. Always consult your doctor before taking any concomitant medication with buspirone.