Information about Buspirone
Buspirone is used in the treatment of anxiety disorder.
How buspirone works
Buspirone works by modulating the action of serotonin, a chemical messenger of the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
Common side effects of buspirone
Nausea, Headache, Vomiting, Dryness in mouth, Sleepiness, Dizziness, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Abdominal pain
Available Medicine for Buspirone
- ₹27 to ₹39Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹8Kramer Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹18Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹8Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹31Tripada Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹40Psycormedies2 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹41Wockhardt Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Buspirone
- Buspirone should be taken every day to prevent anxiety symptoms and not only when anxiety symptoms are experienced.
- Do not stop taking buspirone suddenly even if you feel well as this may worsen your symptoms.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking a benzodiazepine e.g. nitrazepam or temazepam or another common sedative or hypnotic medicine, or if you had or have any of the following medical conditions: acute narrow-angle glaucoma, muscle weakness disorder (myasthenia gravis), difficulty chewing or swallowing, slurred speech and drug dependence issues.
- Do not take buspirone if you are also taking selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs) e.g. fluoxetine and paroxetine or if you have taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor eg. selegiline in the past 14 days.
- Do not drive or operate any tools or machines while using buspirone, as it may cause dizziness affecting your ability to drive and use machines.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking buspirone.
Frequently asked questions for Buspirone
Q. Is buspirone a benzo/ a selective serotonin receptor inhibitor (SSRI)/a Xanax/ like Xanax/a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI)/a beta blocker/ contain MAOI?
Buspirone is an antianxiety agent and is not chemically or pharmacologically related to the benzodiazepines. It is not Xanax (also known as alprazolam), but has similar actions. It is not a MAOI, beta blocker or SSRI
Q. Does buspirone work/ work for anxiety/ help you sleep/ help depression?
Buspirone is used in the management of anxiety disorders. It does not help in depression. It may possibly help with sleep. It works if taken at recommended dosage and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is buspirone fast acting/ does buspirone work right away/ can I take buspar forever/ how long can i take buspirone for?
Buspirone (brand name: Buspar) is not fast acting but can take many weeks to reach full effect. Buspirone like any other medications should be taken for a time period as prescribed by your doctor
Q. Is buspirone safe/ addictive/ weight gain/ constipation/ hair loss/ make you tired?
Buspirone is safe if taken at recommended dosage and duration as advised by your doctor. It can cause certain side effects such as constipation and fatigue (feeling tired). It is not addictive but can cause withdrawal symptoms, if stopped suddenly. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. Can i take buspirone with Xanax/ sertraline/ Benadryl/clonazepam/ Zoloft/ Cymbalta/ Prozac/ Effexor/ escitalopram?
Using buspirone together with Zoloft (sertraline), Lexapro (escitalopram), Prozac (fluoxetine), Cymbalta (duloxetine) can cause major drug interaction and increase the risk of rare but serious conditions. Buspirone interacts moderately with Benadryl. Always consult your doctor before taking any concomitant medication with buspirone.