Information about Bupivacaine
Bupivacaine is used for local anaesthesia.
How bupivacaine works
Bupivacaine works by blocking pain signals from the nerves to brain which decreases the sensation of pain.
Common side effects of bupivacaine
Nausea, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Slow heart rate, Decreased blood pressure, Dizziness, Inability to empty the urinary bladder, Increased blood pressure, Vomiting.
Available Medicine for Bupivacaine
- ₹24 to ₹77Neon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹138Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹20Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹23Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹73Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹25Themis Medicare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹78Themis Medicare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹63Neon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹38Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹86Astra Zeneca1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Bupivacaine
- Do not drive or operate machinery as bupivacaine injection can cause sleepiness.
- Consult your doctor if you are on controlled sodium diet since it contains sodium; have respiratory, heart, kidney, liver problems or stomach tumor; swollen stomach due to excess fluid or have fluid in lungs; decreased blood volume.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you feel dizzy, light headed, numbness of lips, tongue and around mouth, problem with sight or hearing after injection of bupivacaine.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Bupivacaine
Q. Is bupivacaine a controlled substance, narcotic, steroid, opioid, or neurolytic agent?
Bupivacaine is not a controlled substance, narcotic, steroid, opioid or neurolytic agent. Bupivacaine is a local anesthetic
Q. Is bupivacaine the same as Marcaine or lidocaine?
Marcaine is the trade name of bupivacaine. Bupivacaine and lidocaine belongs to same class of drugs, however they differ in their some of the properties like duration of action and side effects
Q. Is bupivacaine addictive?
Bupivacaine is not an addictive drug
Q. Does bupivacaine cause respiratory depression?
Bupivacaine can cause respiratory depression if used in head or neck area
Q. How long does bupivacaine take to work?
Bupivacaine generally takes 5-10 min to work and lasts for about 4-8 hours
Q. How long does bupivacaine spinal or epidural injection last?
However the onset and duration depends on individual taking the medicine and method of injection.