Information about Bromocriptine
Bromocriptine is used in increased prolactin levels, female infertility, type 2 diabetes and acromegaly.
How bromocriptine works
Bromocriptine treats increased prolactin level by decreasing the amount of prolactin in the body which helps in fertility and period problems. It treats acromegaly by decreasing the amount of growth hormone in the body. Researchers don't know how exactly it works in diabetes mellitus.
Common side effects of bromocriptine
Nausea, Vomiting, Headache, Dizziness, Fatigue
Available Medicine for Bromocriptine
- ₹93 to ₹169Serum Institute Of India Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹80 to ₹211Abbott3 variant(s)
- ₹76 to ₹94Delvin Formulations Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹66Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹69 to ₹98Zyphar's Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹87Inga Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹78Serum Institute Of India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹151Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹111 to ₹133Ar-Ex Laboratories Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹65 to ₹120Helios Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Bromocriptine
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with any heart problems (high blood pressure, heart attack, heart failure, slow or irregular heart rate).
- Regular monitoring of heart function (tests like echocardiogram) may be advised while on treatment with Bromocriptine.
Frequently asked questions for Bromocriptine
Q. Is bromocriptine addictive?
No, bromocriptine is not an addictive
Q. Does bromocriptine cause constipation/weight loss/hair loss/weight gain?
Bromocriptine may cause side effects such as constipation and hair loss. But it has no known effect on body weight
Q. Is bromocriptine safe?
Bromocriptine is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is bromocriptine teratogenic?
Bromocriptine has not shown any teratogenic effects in humans. But always consult your doctor before taking this drug
Q. Does bromocriptine shrink pituitary tumors?
Yes, Bromocriptine can shrink specific tumors of pituitary gland like prolactinomas
Q. Is bromocriptine a monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)/steroid/hormone?
Bromocriptine is not a monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)/steroid/hormone. It belongs to the class of drugs called dopamine agonists
Q. Is bromocriptine better than cabergoline?
Both Cabergoline and bromocriptine belong to the same class of drug known as dopamine agonists. Both the drugs have almost similar efficacy in treatment of hormonal abnormalities and in Parkinson's disease but effect can vary depending on individual response. Always consult your doctor before changing your medication
Q. Does bromocriptine delay period?
Bromocriptine normalizes the monthly cycle. It can normalize ovulation (release of eggs or female gametes) by decreasing the release of prolactin.
Q. Is bromocriptine a fertility drug/ increased fertility?
It is used to treat hyperprolactinemia (increased prolactin level). Bromocriptine can normalize ovulation and improve fertility by bringing prolactin levels to normal
Q. Can you take ibuprofen/clomid (clomiphene)/ Tylenol (acetaminophen)/ Nyquil (acetaminophen/ dextromethorphan/ doxylamine/pseudoephedrine)/vitex (chaste tree)/ folic acid with bromocriptine?
No drug interaction was found with any of the mentioned drugs. Always consult your physician before taking any concomitant medicine