Information about Bromocriptine
How bromocriptine works
Bromocriptine is a dopamine receptor agonist. At low strength, it reduces insulin resistance and improves blood sugar control in diabetes mellitus. At high strength, it treats increased prolactin level by decreasing the amount of prolactin in the body. This helps in fertility and period problems. It also treats acromegaly by decreasing the amount of growth hormone in the body.
Common side effects of bromocriptine
Nausea, Vomiting, Headache, Dizziness, Fatigue
Available Medicine for Bromocriptine
- ₹103 to ₹186Serum Institute Of India Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹75 to ₹98Zyphar's Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹76 to ₹94Delvin Formulations Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹105Inga Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹80 to ₹211Abbott3 variant(s)
- ₹93Serum Institute Of India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹66Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹104USV Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹97Sinsan Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹981Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Bromocriptine
- Bromocriptine is used to treat conditions caused by excess production of a natural hormone called prolactin such as infertility, or abnormal production of breast milk (galactorrhoea).
- It should be taken with or after food to avoid side effects such as nausea or indigestion.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Bromocriptine can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Do not take Bromocriptine if you are breastfeeding.
- Monitoring of blood pressure may be advised regularly during treatment with Bromocriptine.
Frequently asked questions for Bromocriptine
Q. Is bromocriptine addictive?
No, bromocriptine is not an addictive
Q. Does bromocriptine cause constipation/weight loss/hair loss/weight gain?
Bromocriptine may cause side effects such as constipation and hair loss. But it has no known effect on body weight
Q. Is bromocriptine safe?
Bromocriptine is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is bromocriptine teratogenic?
Bromocriptine has not shown any teratogenic effects in humans. But always consult your doctor before taking this drug
Q. Does bromocriptine shrink pituitary tumors?
Yes, Bromocriptine can shrink specific tumors of pituitary gland like prolactinomas
Q. Is bromocriptine a monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)/steroid/hormone?
Bromocriptine is not a monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)/steroid/hormone. It belongs to the class of drugs called dopamine agonists
Q. Is bromocriptine better than cabergoline?
Both Cabergoline and bromocriptine belong to the same class of drug known as dopamine agonists. Both the drugs have almost similar efficacy in treatment of hormonal abnormalities and in Parkinson's disease but effect can vary depending on individual response. Always consult your doctor before changing your medication
Q. Does bromocriptine delay period?
Bromocriptine normalizes the monthly cycle. It can normalize ovulation (release of eggs or female gametes) by decreasing the release of prolactin.
Q. Is bromocriptine a fertility drug/ increased fertility?
It is used to treat hyperprolactinemia (increased prolactin level). Bromocriptine can normalize ovulation and improve fertility by bringing prolactin levels to normal
Q. Can you take ibuprofen/clomid (clomiphene)/ Tylenol (acetaminophen)/ Nyquil (acetaminophen/ dextromethorphan/ doxylamine/pseudoephedrine)/vitex (chaste tree)/ folic acid with bromocriptine?
No drug interaction was found with any of the mentioned drugs. Always consult your physician before taking any concomitant medicine