Information about Brimonidine
Brimonidine is used in the treatment of ocular hypertension and glaucoma.
How brimonidine works
Brimonidine decreases the pressure in the eyeball by decreasing the formation of aqueous humor (clear watery fluid filling the space in front of an eyeball ).
Common side effects of brimonidine
Headache, Foreign body sensation in eyes, Blurred vision, Dryness in mouth, Burning sensation in eye, Conjunctival hyperemia , Fatigue, Stinging in the eyes, Drowsiness, Eye itching, Allergic reaction in eye
Available Medicine for Brimonidine
- ₹155Ajanta Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹270Alcon Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹169 to ₹189Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹205FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹210Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹285Alcon Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹163Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹160Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹273Akumentis Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹227Indoco Remedies Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Brimonidine
- Helps lower high pressure in the eye and reduces the risk of vision loss.
- For best results, put one drop 2-3 times daily in the affected eye(s).
- Brimonidine may cause allergic reaction in the form of eyelid swelling, eye discomfort, foreign-object sensation, redness and itching. Notify your doctor if any of these occur.
- Apply pressure on the corner of the eye (close to the nose) for about 1 minute, immediately after instilling the drop. This minimizes the risk of side effects.
- Take care to prevent contact of eye dispenser with eye, eyelid, eyelashes, or finger to avoid infection.
- Remove contact lenses before using Betagan and allow at least 15 minutes before re-inserting them.
- When applying multiple eye medications, wait for at least 5-15 minutes before delivering the next medication in the same eye to avoid dilution.
Frequently asked questions for Brimonidine
Q. Is Brimonidine the same as Alphagan?
Yes, Alphagan is a trade name of drug Brimonidine
Q. Is Brimonidine or Brimonidine tartrate a beta blocker/steroid?
Brimonidine or Brimonidine tartrate is a sympatomimetic drug and not a beta blocker/steroid
Q. Does Brimonidine cause fatigue?
Yes, feeling fatigue is a very common side effect of Brimonidine. Always consult your doctor if you experience such type of side effect
Q. Why does Brimonidine cause miosis?
Brimonidine causing this side effect is very rare. It may be because of overdose of other alpha2-agonists. Always consult your doctor if you experience such type of side effect
Q. How does Brimonidine lower intraocular pressure (iop)?
It reduces the intraocular pressure by reducing the amount of fluid in the eye.