Information about Bosentan
Bosentan is used in the treatment of pulmonary hypertension.
How bosentan works
Bosentan relaxes the blood vessels of the lungs, which in turn lowers the blood pressure.
Common side effects of bosentan
Headache, Increased liver enzymes, Edema, Allergic reaction, Gastro-esophageal reflux disease, Diarrhoea, Anemia, Decreased blood pressure, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Respiratory tract infection
Available Medicine for Bosentan
- ₹760 to ₹1197Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹837Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1900Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹730 to ₹1198Natco Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Bosentan
- Bosentan controls the symptoms of pulmonary arterial hypertension but does not cure it. It may take 1-2 months or longer before you experience the full benefit of bosentan.
- Do not stop taking bosentan suddenly even if you feel well as this may worsen your symptoms.
- You may have to undergo regular blood test every month during the treatment to check for anemia (low hemoglobin) and liver function.
- Do not drive or operate any tools or machines while using bosentan, as it may cause dizziness affecting your ability to drive and use machines.
- While taking bosentan, women must use a highly effective form of birth control or two methods together (example, contraceptive pills plus barrier method) to prevent pregnancy during treatment.
Frequently asked questions for Bosentan
Q. What is bosentan used for/ what is bosentan therapy?
Bosentan is used in adults and children to treat high blood pressure in the vessels that carry blood to the lungs (pulmonary arterial hypertension). It is also used in adults for the treatment of painful and difficult to heal open sores on fingers and toes (digital ulcers)
Q. Does bosentan work?
Bosentan is effective if taken at recommended dosage and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is bosentan an orphan drug?
Yes, bosentan is an orphan drug
Q. Is bosentan cytotoxic?
Bosentan is not a cytotoxic drug. However, studies have shown that bosentan induces liver injury by accumulation of cytotoxic bile salts
Q. Is bosentan available in India?
Yes, it is available in India.