Information about Bleomycin
Bleomycin is used in the treatment of cervical cancer, cancer of mouth, nasopharynx and paranasal sinuses, larynx, oesophagus and skin cancer.
How bleomycin works
Bleomycin is an anti-cancer medication. It works by damaging the genetic material (DNA) of the cancer cells and stops their growth and multiplication.
Common side effects of bleomycin
Skin pigmentation, Interstitial pneumonia, Pulmonary fibrosis, Nail discoloration, Nausea, Vomiting, Loss of appetite, Hair loss, Fever, Rigors, Decreased appetite, Weight loss, Thinning of skin, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth), Scratch dermatitis
Available Medicine for Bleomycin
- ₹364Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹687Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹595Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹654Dabur India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹505Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹889Vhb Life Sciences Inc1 variant(s)
- ₹850Venus Remedies Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1039Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Bleomycin
- Inform your doctor before taking bleomycin if you have severe heart disease, kidney problems, lung problems requiring use of oxygen, impaired liver function, and chicken pox or if you are about to undergo a surgery.
- Inform your doctor before taking bleomycin if you are taking other anticancer/cytotoxic drugs such as vinca alkaloids or cisplatin, drugs such as clozapine or if you have received radiation in the chest area.
- Seek immediate medical advice if you develop dry cough, breathlessness, rapid breathing or any other lung problems.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery after taking this drug as it may make you feel weak or tired.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Bleomycin
Q. What does Bleomycin treat?
Bleomycin is used to treat squamous cell cancers, certain types of blood cancers, skin cancers and cancer of the thyroid, bladder, lungs, abdomen or genitals
Q. Does Bleomycin cause pulmonary fibrosis, nausea or hair loss?
Yes. Bleomycin may cause pulmonary fibrosis, nausea and hair loss. If you notice any such symptoms, please consult your doctor
Q. How does Bleomycin cause pulmonary fibrosis?
Pulmonary fibrosis (scarring of the tissue of the lungs) is one of the side effects of Bleomycin. It is reportedly caused by lack of an enzyme that metabolises Bleomycin in the lungs.